Thread: Equipment for Transfers from Wheelchair to Vehicle

Equipment for Transfers from Wheelchair to Vehicle

I really, really need some advice and information. My elderly mother came home after breaking her hip and doing rehab. She still can't stand on the leg on the broken side due to foot drop and bedsores on the foot that developed in the hospital. I need a way to transfer between the van(GMC Safari) and her wheelchair. As it stands, we're going to have to pay $89 to get a medical transport service to take her to doctor's appointments, and she goes every week to get treatment on the bedsores.

There will be two adult males to help her with the transfers, and I don't mind picking her up and moving her if I can do it safely. I thought about one of those portable ramps to push her in the chair into the side of the van and then transferring her to a seat once she's in, but I'm not sure the door is tall enough to get her into it. With the side door open we will have 42 inches of height and 31 inches of width in the door. It seems like her head would hit the top.

I also thought about a ramp next to the vehicle that would allow me to push her wheelchair up to a level surface that was about the same level as the seat in the van. I could then pretty easily transfer her to the seat.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you have the height to wheel her in then you'd need to secure the wheelchair to the van floor.

The cheapest solution would be to use a 'banana board' to slide her from the wheelchair to the front passenger seat - worth a try.

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/patient-...er-boards.html

Judging by the price in dollars, you are in the USA? Here in the UK, with such difficulty in moving her, a district nurse would come out to dress bed sores rather than drag her off, which I would have thought would make it worse?

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Judging by the price in dollars, you are in the USA? Here in the UK, with such difficulty in moving her, a district nurse would come out to dress bed sores rather than drag her off, which I would have thought would make it worse?
    Yes I'm in the USA. We do have a home health service here paid for by Medicare that sends a nurse out to treat and dress bed sores. She still needs to see the wound care doctor periodically for extra treatment and evaluation.