Thread: Wheelchair

Wheelchair

Hello,

As some of you will know ESA have in their wisdom decided that I can mobilise over 200m if I use a wheelchair due to having upper body strength, even though due to lower back pain I am unable to sit for any period of time.

I am getting information together for my appeal and have a question that I can't find an answer to.

I would like to know on average, how long does it take to mobilise a wheelchair over 100m and 200m also as I have never used one how much strain does it put on your lower back. I am guessing the mechanical action will cause strain.

Thanks for any advice.

The strain on your back is something you'd need to ask a Doctor or someone else who is qualified like a wheelchair assessor. It does cause strain on the rotator cuff tendons in the shoulder. https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article/632

Another link for you:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...7_-_030315.pdf

page 74 onwards

Thank you for responses I am working my way through the links. No idea how to convince the tribunal but I will try.

Are you getting any help with it, from either Welfare Rights or CAB? If not try to get in contact with 1 of them. It does make a difference. I got 0 points aswell and was told I could use a wheelchair. But in my case I had a shoulder injury which later found out to be a torn tendon. My Welfare Rights advisor told me not to mention wheelchair use, unless they did. The evidence I had was enough to rule out using a wheelchair, I got 15 points for mobilizing putting me into Support Group.

Quote Originally Posted by abcd69 View Post
    Are you getting any help with it, from either Welfare Rights or CAB? If not try to get in contact with 1 of them. It does make a difference. I got 0 points aswell and was told I could use a wheelchair. But in my case I had a shoulder injury which later found out to be a torn tendon. My Welfare Rights advisor told me not to mention wheelchair use, unless they did. The evidence I had was enough to rule out using a wheelchair, I got 15 points for mobilizing putting me into Support Group.

Hello, I am seeing CAB next week. I got 9 points for sitting and standing but 0 for mobilising, reading through the bundle the accessor indicates I have upper body strength so therefore can mobilise 200m in a wheelchair, which seems crazy because she acknowledged that I was in pain sitting.

I have had many problems with dislocated shoulder but not done ships for a few years so I doubt I could use that.

The whole process is so stressful especially due to circumstances I have no money since end of February, been advised to reapply with another problem (depression) but I don't understand any of it and will plod on with the appeal and hope common sense prevails. Wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujifilm View Post
    Hello, I am seeing CAB next week. I got 9 points for sitting and standing but 0 for mobilising, reading through the bundle the accessor indicates I have upper body strength so therefore can mobilise 200m in a wheelchair, which seems crazy because she acknowledged that I was in pain sitting.

I have had many problems with dislocated shoulder but not done ships for a few years so I doubt I could use that.

The whole process is so stressful especially due to circumstances I have no money since end of February, been advised to reapply with another problem (depression) but I don't understand any of it and will plod on with the appeal and hope common sense prevails. Wishful thinking.
    They dwp decision makers like to use that wheelchair nonsense as a way to deny people a benefit that they should meet the criteria for

I have osteoarthritis of the knees and one forefoot , one knee randomly locks catches when walking , can be do this after only a few paces at also can be a greater distance, but it will catch /lock most days, my fore foot becomes painful after being weight for a short time, and pain increases with moving around, I also have a partial slipped disc that at times will cause sciatic type pain ,and a weak wrist from a old fracture , I know i would not be able to propel myself without it causing a lot of pain ,

From page 24 of the medical services handbook

The role of the HCP is to help Decision Makers reach fair and proper decisions on benefit entitlement, by providing advice which is:
    Legible and concise

Fair and impartial

Medically correct

Consistent and complete
    These ATOS now Maximus reports made by their droids are anything but what they are supposed to be

From page 85
    The method of travel to the Examination Centre is relevant. You are likely, from local knowledge, to know the distance from the bus station to the examination centre. Record the distance, time taken, the number of rests required, and the lengths of the rest periods.
    They have never stated a distance figure or time taken to walk from A2B, only times of actual rail/bus journey , and they ignore if you tell them you had to stop several times unless you have the WCA audio recorded
    Last edited by tom34; 01-05-16 at 16:20.