Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Income Support reduced

Income Support reduced

I have received a letter saying that my income support is being reduced from 54.05 to 2.20 from April 26th. It does not say why and this is a huge reduction.

My regular Middle rate care was recently reduced (my welfare officer is appealing) to the lower amount.

My income on this letter

Incapacity benefit 99.15.

At the beginning of the letter it says that the law has changed on the amount I need to live on.

I think its a disgrace, I a have long term disability (severe arthritis) and use all the money I have for getting around and assistance in the home.

Anyone else had this and advice on what to do, although I will ask my welfare officer as well.

Thanks
    Pamela

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by cokdeli View Post
    I have received a letter saying that my income support is being reduced from 54.05 to 2.20 from April 26th. It does not say why and this is a huge reduction.

My regular Middle rate care was recently reduced (my welfare officer is appealing) to the lower amount.

My income on this letter

Incapacity benefit 99.15.

At the beginning of the letter it says that the law has changed on the amount I need to live on.

I think its a disgrace, I a have long term disability (severe arthritis) and use all the money I have for getting around and assistance in the home.

Anyone else had this and advice on what to do, although I will ask my welfare officer as well.

Thanks
    Pamela
    you need expert advise ...only thing that comes to mind, is loss of premium due to DLA going down ?

Yes I think that it may well be the case, my welfare officer helped me fill in the reclaiming of DLA and they reduced the care compoment, even though my health is worse than it was 3 years ago, she is coming to see me Wednesday to write and ask them to look at it again.

It's a huge reduction and I am really upset about it, it took 8 months to get it the first time round, but I must think posiitively.

Pamela

That will certainly be the reason why. You no longer qualify for the extra premium. As you still receive a small amount of IS you will continue to receive other benefits that are dependant on receiving IS. If you get your DLA reinstated on appeal you should also get the IS you have missed out on paid too.

If that is the case IS itself would not go down, any supplements to it could. IS is only reduced if other benefits that are means tested are paid, & they can take if off IS. However, if you lose such a benefit then IS would remina the same as it would still be replaced to the top level of IS. If a benefit is paid on top you can lose that. I do not see why someone would only get such a small amount of IS because they lost other benefits that are not means tested. There is something wrong here as everyone is assuming it is because of the loss Premium that is paid on top of IS.
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 25-02-12 at 16:30. Reason: Correct spelling
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

As Stephen says your IS only changes if other benefits are paid that affect the rate of IS (as far as I know DLA does not) or if you circumstances change.
    You need to compare the amount the Govt says you need to live on now with the amount they said before this reduction.

You could call & ask, but that can be a nightmare as they never speak English about it. Often they like to just say "It is correct what you are getting."

DLA does not affect IS, other than being able to claim other benefits which can be paid with IS. This could be one issue, a benefit may have been stopped or changed. However, the figures started to not make sense on that. Something has happened, something has changed or they have changed it. I would advise assistance from someone like the CAB or another local agency.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

We need to be clear here about how IS is made up. It does not have 'supplements' - it has 'premiums' - and some of those premiums can be added for people who get DLA middle rate care or higher. So a reduction from middle rate to low rate care will result in the loss of a IS premium. As has happened in this case. A successful DLA appeal would result in the re-instatement and backdating of the IS premium, but meanwhile the level of IB plus IS in payment is well over the 'applicable amount' for a single person without a disability.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    We need to be clear here about how IS is made up. It does not have 'supplements' - it has 'premiums' - and some of those premiums can be added for people who get DLA middle rate care or higher. So a reduction from middle rate to low rate care will result in the loss of a IS premium. As has happened in this case. A successful DLA appeal would result in the re-instatement and backdating of the IS premium, but meanwhile the level of IB plus IS in payment is well over the 'applicable amount' for a single person without a disability.
    said that days ago are there not web sites where you can input all you are getting and it tells you what you should get ?

Supplements in the sense that some benefits are now paid with IS, not separate as they use to be.

IS itself would not be reduced to the amount stated, I made this all clear in my first reply.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen