Thread: important car tax changes

important car tax changes

Free car tax coming to an end next April on all polluting cars. Exemption still applies for higher rate mobility.

although Bugatti veyron buyers will be better off under the new system.

For the rest of us who dont qualify for high rate mobility, a surge in new car sales in march 2017. Alternatively buy used.

Just bought daughter a new car out of the showroom, the 1st year is tax free and the ensuing years are also zero for that vehicle. That is until they put the rates up, who knows what it will be this time next year. Can't really plan on road tax being zero even though it is at the moment.

So people don't panic about this, the changes in Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) only applies to vehicles first registered on or after the 1st April 2017.

Details from the UK Gov site are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-excise-duty

''This measure reforms Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars registered from 1 April 2017 onwards. First Year Rates of VED will vary according to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of the vehicle. A flat Standard Rate (SR) of £140 will apply in all subsequent years, except for zero emission cars which will pay £0. Cars with a list price in excess of £40,000 will incur a supplement of £310 on their SR for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid. All cars registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change.
    ''

The following government webpage shows the new rates: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-excise-duty

As fwipperie says, the 100% exemption for those who recevie HRMDLA/Enhanced PIP Mobility/WPMS and AFIP remains, as does the 50% for Standard Mobility PIP.

Richard

i feel the government have been caught out by the amount of cars in the cheap tax bracket and noticed the car tax " pot" looking rather empty ...with the new blanket pricing plan of £140 for most small and medium size/emission cars the "pot" will start to fill.
    It's does say to me that the government are no long interest in promoting The more fuel efficient fossil fuel cars and its more about raking money in .
    Yes they are looking after electric powered car but to be honest they are a dead lost to most people who use a car on a daily basis who drive away from our city's , most drivers want to refuel their car and continue their journeys .....not wait 4-8 hrs to recharge.
    I can see a rush next year to buy economical cars ....the dealers will be rubbing their hand together and we may see an upturn in the values of city cars a year or two old, my daughter has a Low mileage Toyota Aygo and is a £20 a year road tax these cars will maintained good used car values for a few extra years .
    Motability vehicle history....
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift), 2018 Renault Master MWB (Braun taillift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

I think it is only a matter of time, maybe a year or two, before hydrogen cell powered cars come into being. Some London buses already run them. The only thing the hydrogen combustion produces is water thus they should be classed in the zero emissions band as no CO2 is emitted. It just needs garages to install the equipment to dispense the hydrogen (which are actually similar to the LPG systems which seem to have died a slow death).

Although no doubt once hydrogen cells become popular the government will slap some form of VED on them to rake in the money.

Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard2SG View Post
    I think it is only a matter of time, maybe a year or two, before hydrogen cell powered cars come into being. Some London buses already run them. The only thing the hydrogen combustion produces is water thus they should be classed in the zero emissions band as no CO2 is emitted. It just needs garages to install the equipment to dispense the hydrogen (which are actually similar to the LPG systems which seem to have died a slow death).

Although no doubt once hydrogen cells become popular the government will slap some form of VED on them to rake in the money.

Richard.
    It does however require a huge amount of energy to produce the hydrogen, therefore the only real change is that the fossil fuels are being burnt in a power plant rather than a car engine.

I feel we see hydrogen cars soon. Popular in California.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    I feel we see hydrogen cars soon. Popular in California.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/mirai

Quote Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
    Perhaps we shall see further developments in this area.