Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design for disability

That must be pricey, sea queen!

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    That must be pricey, sea queen!
    It is, I reckon she needs a Tank!!
    Sea Queen

I've got something simple that you could design and output via a 3D printer.

The problem.
    My radiator in the bathroom is cold despite the fact that the central heating is on. The issue is 'air'. I need to release air trapped inside the radiator. I have a special brass key to unscrew the value and release the air and warm u the radiator.

My problem .
    The air-lock key is small and I don't have the grip to twist the key and release the trapped air.

The solution . . .
    A plastic 3D printed 'key' that has thumb end sized 'wings' that I could use to help leverage the lock opening my thumb and finger.

What do you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaff79 View Post
    My biggest problem is not being able to cook tea. I'm in too much pain and mentally tired to do it. Microwave meal isn't good enough, their are 3 of us to feed. I'd like to have a way of overcoming that! And the pain!!
    Food preparation is one of my biggest problems as well.
    The best the OT could come up with was to give me perching stool, however that doesn't help me use my hands!
    I've got various small 'gadgets,' however, it's just not enough to help with the combination of challenges. For the past few years, we have been buying frozen, pre-chopped veg which we put in our kitchen freezer in little tubs that can just be tipped out and have recently started looking into other options that I think will ultimately mean hired help. For the past few years, my OH has been preparing all meals and depending on his shift, leaves them for me to re-heat which leaves me feeling totally dependant and him fed up of doing it all. I also can't lift a lot of our pans and crock pots. Someone recently suggested to me that I should look for silicone microwave pans and mats that he could transfer the food to to make re-heating easier (I struggle to grip some things and have Raynauds and am extremely sensitive to cold and heat.) I don't find it too bad in the winter as we use a slow cooker a lot but no one seems to want a casserole everyday in the spring and summer lol.
    I have also started modernising the kitchen, transferring things easy to grip tubs and easy to open jars and I'm also going to purchase a water boiler but have not decided which type yet. We also put a 'lazy susan' in the fridge to make it easier to get to things. Despite me putting all of these things in place, I will still be unable to prepare a meal from scratch but am hoping I can at least start to contribute.
    If anyone has any other suggestions that would help in the kitchen, please feel free to suggest. Xx

Something like these?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XKQO...0RYWBBSP0VZEM5
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RADIATOR-BL...1WRR530CA15GHP

These give even more leverage.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rear-Access...1WRR530CA15GHP
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monument-20...NA8P1PNH57BMTB

If its a real problem you could replace the radiator bleed plugs with automatic venting valves and never have to manualy bleed the radiators again.
    http://www.radiatorvalvesonline.com/...adiator-valves
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Nuked, the brass one with a simple cylindrical rod through the end is the one I've got - it's not fit for purpose.

I only seem to have two radiators that fill full of air.

The radiator value is stiff so wen I try to turn the key the stupid rods end up hurting my finger and thumb the more you try to turn it.

Ideally the self-correcting value sounds great. The next best thing to get easy leverage would be to use a plastic device with butterfly wings that spread the force needed to turn and unscrew the valve to release the air. The butterfly wings each need to be the size of a 20p coin to be effective.

Anewbeginning Have you tried frozen veg. sweet's and meat's. It would just mean planning meals the night before youse eat them. t0knee

Sorry about that I confused USER NAMES. nod1e