Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue badge + car tax exempt parking in Dorset

Blue badge + car tax exempt parking in Dorset

Had a recent holiday in the Christchurch area of Dorset , in previous years those of us with a Blue badge and having tax exempt vehicles as shown on the old tax disc, could park for free in council car parks.
    Since the demise of the tax disc that displayed the exemption , if you want to be able to still park free in the Dorset area you need a permit from the Dorset council , not being wise to this cost me a small fortune over the week.
    So if you are eligble you can apply for the permit at https://www.dorsetforyou.com/article...n-Christchurch if you intend to visit the area, the permit lasts 3 years .
    Do not know if this type of scheme operates in other areas at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Had a recent holiday in the Christchurch area of Dorset , in previous years those of us with a Blue badge and having tax exempt vehicles as shown on the old tax disc, could park for free in council car parks.
    Since the demise of the tax disc that displayed the exemption , if you want to be able to still park free in the Dorset area you need a permit from the Dorset council , not being wise to this cost me a small fortune over the week.
    So if you are eligble you can apply for the permit at https://www.dorsetforyou.com/article...n-Christchurch if you intend to visit the area, the permit lasts 3 years .
    Do not know if this type of scheme operates in other areas at all.
    Yes we had that problem in St Ives.

The link won't open up the application though?

Yes I know of the Dorset area permits and have had one for two years now with my current one expiring in June 16. Having been on holiday in the West Bay area for the past 3 years I came across the free issue permit and applied for one for June 14 to 15 and last year they even sent a reminder that my permit was expiring and asked if I wanted to renew it, great stuff.

By comparison this year for a change I’m going to Dawlish in south Devon and found that permits are only available to disabled residents and I’ve raised an issue on their Twitter page about this being discriminating against disable folk who don’t live in the Teignmouth area. No response to that though.

I don't have a blue badge but if I did then I would be tempted to park in the street on yellow lines and stuff their unreasonable car park rules.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sibilities.PDF
    Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours but in general not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and/or signs on plates.
    If enough people did this then they may change their minds on the car park rules..
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-04-16 at 11:33.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the places that have double yellow lines also have the kerb markers therefore preventing blue badge holders from parking on them and leaving no option but to use the car parks.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if all the places that have double yellow lines also have the kerb markers therefore preventing blue badge holders from parking on them and leaving no option but to use the car parks.
    Isn’t that the truth as more and more of the drop bars are appearing these days, some places justified by narrow roads but more often than not simply to make BB users use the council owned and controlled paid for car parks.

This is the norm in Devon but to be fair to my local council (Bristol) where they have these drop bars in the central shopping area they also have many disabled only spaces that are rigorously controlled and they also let any Blue Badge owner use the council owned car parks free of charge regardless what part of the country you may come from but unfortunately this is a very rare thing for most councils.

Weblink

Quote Originally Posted by bspm View Post
    Yes we had that problem in St Ives.

The link won't open up the application though?
    Have tried the link and it opens for me ok, just GOOGLE "Dorsetforyou" , go to the site and follow the Blue badge parking links on it.

Not a holiday destination, but Braintree District Council (in Essex) now charge BB holders, including residents, to park in their car parks. All a BB does is entitle you to use the larger spaces - or park roadside on yellow lines if you can find a space.

"Not a holiday destination, but Braintree District Council (in Essex) now charge BB holders, including residents, to park in their car parks. All a BB does is entitle you to use the larger spaces - or park roadside on yellow lines if you can find a space. "

Same in my area too

M6 toll

Also if of any interest, High Rate DLA with Blue Badge, entitles you to free use of the M6 toll road, this is the link to the application form.

https://www.m6toll.co.uk/media/77757...april-2016.pdf