Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just wondering

just wondering

Hi I have noticed both on here and a few other sites and from a few people i know that some people with anxiety/depression that when they have to change over from dla to pip they get high rate mobility but people with mobility issues either get it knocked down to standard or lose it altogether. I don't get that it clearly says anyone walking more than 20meters wont get full points so what makes them get high rate mobility when they can walk without any pain? I totally get the enhanced care side for them as they need someone with them etc, i just ask because you don't see people with mobility issues getting enhanced care i just think it's odd, but i guess when you look at it it totally explains why people never understand why they get turned down or lower rates when they do fit every decripters it's obviously random...

There are two parts to the mobility award. You need 10 points to get the enhanced rate.

If a person does not have physical disabilities it is possible to score all your 10 points from the planning and following journeys part.

Isn't it 12 points to qualify for enhanced rate?
    Caring is an art not a science

Whoops, sorry, having a 'blond moment'. Yes, it's 12 points for the enhanced rate.

ok that explains that they can get 10points which is standard rate but 12 points is supposed to be if u can't walk more than 20meters, though for me mobility would be walking probs planning and following a journey in my mind would mean care side as u need someone to help u get around. i've decided it's a bit like the old school tests and u just randomly choose the letters that's how people get assessed i'm convinced haha, the old dla way made more sense..

The system is so screwed up it's impossible to understand their reasoning in why they award or disallow claims as they do. I wonder if the people you refer to are getting enhanced mobility because their points are being split between both mobility descriptors if they have a combination of physical and mental health conditions, ie 10 points on following a journey and maybe 4 or 8 on the distance they can walk. My husband has both physical and mental health conditions and got 4 points on each mobility section last time for standard rate and although I felt he should have got at least 8 points on the distance he could walk to get enhanced mobility we didn't want to risk losing what he'd got so we left it at that. He's due another assessment soon and I'm hoping he'll get the 8 points on distance this time as his mobility has deteriorated and his anxiety is no better so by rights he should retain the 4 points for journey planning he got last time, though I have no faith in the assessment procedure at all when it comes to mental health, specially after seeing the Dispatches programme which gave me the distinct impression that mental health comes a very poor second and isn't considered by these so-called "professionals" and the DWP anywhere near as much as it should be.

The main reason why "they award or disallow claims as they do" is that what the assessor puts on the form bears little resemblance to what the applicant says. My wife pointed out a tree in the car park about thirty feet away and said that she could walk that far, and he thanked her for being honest, and then wrote "indicated that she can walk at least 60 feet" and gave her 4 points. We know that she was never going to get the 12 points, so didn't bother to appeal for the lower rate.

Hello Freedomeagle

On my DLA to PIP migration I was not awarded either component of PIP, I was previously on Low mobility medium care.

I have both physical and mental health problems. My M.R. awarded me a few more points but still not enough points. I am appealing.

Now my ESA50 has turned up just like a bad penny. I am finding it all a real strain.

Is the PIP the same as with the DLA when applying? As in, you say how far you can walk or stand without pain?

I get enhanced daily living and standard mobility for a combination of mental health and mobility problems. In theory, I should have been awarded enhanced mobility because I can not leave the house alone - yet I was given the 4 points for prompting because apparently, because I'm intelligent, I could go out alone. Never mind the panic attacks and the wanting to self harm after.... I got 4 points for moving around for mobility, hence the standard rate of mobility. My mental health stops me going out more than my ability to walk.

I was completely turned down for DLA, applied for PIP on the off chance..originally awarded standard for both components but then after my review, was awarded enhanced daily living.