Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLA TO PIP TV program

DLA TO PIP TV program

Hi all,

Anyone interested in the topic, tonight channel four, (Dispatches) The Great Benefits Row. 8pm. Ade Adepitan has obviously been 'invited' to apply for PIP.

I have seen a little of what is on this programme.
    Assessors boasting about how much money they make, assessing people before they even walk in to the assessment room and calling disabled people names etc.
    Maybe it will show exactly how us sick/disabled are being treated and open the publics eyes to what is really going on. Unfortunately for those not in our position, they often have the "I'm alright Jack" attitude and believe all the media and government hype that we are all faking it.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    I have seen a little of what is on this programme.
    Assessors boasting about how much money they make, assessing people before they even walk in to the assessment room and calling disabled people names etc.
    Maybe it will show exactly how us sick/disabled are being treated and open the publics eyes to what is really going on. Unfortunately for those not in our position, they often have the "I'm alright Jack" attitude and believe all the media and government hype that we are all faking it.
    Yep right enough, sadly the people who need to watch it probably won't. Only us with disabilities and their families/friends will watch and nothing will change! But it might provoke a discussion that might be seen/heard by those who can effect change later on down the line.

No doubt the DWP will defend how the assessments are done.

I'm sure the DWP, ATOS/Capita and politicians will do everything they can to justify how they treat people. It'll be interesting to watch though. I've just gone through my PIP assessment and thankfully got the award I felt was appropriate, but hubby has his coming up and it's worth knowing what to watch out for and what tricks they might try to pull.

No, i'll be watching somat that actually cheers me up instead!!!

Apologies, only just found this thread.

Watched it. That Capita assessor was awful. Thankfully he was sacked. Makes you wonder what the rest of them are like.

If he was supposed to be one of the better ones, I dread to think what the others are like! It now makes a lot more sense why so many with mental illness get turned down - a cursory tick-list without any care as to how that particular person is affected. I recently had my PIP f2f and had no idea I was even being assessed for this MSE they were talking about, so that explains comments on my report about being clean and tidy, engaging ok and behaving appropriately etc. I wasn't claiming for mental health but it's worrying for people who are as it seems that if they're not dirty or smelly and are able to hold a conversation and behave appropriately these so-called HCPs could use this tick-list as a way of claiming they're absolutely fine without even considering that person's individual situation, which could affect my hubby when he has his next f2f. He has severe anxiety but is always clean and tidy, and because he's had it all his adult life is quite good at masking it when forced into situations where he has no choice but to face things he finds difficult, so he could potentially be ticked off as having no issues - really scary stuff for him and thousands of others in the same situation!!

Having now had some time to digest the content of this program, I'm now of the opinion that exposing the flaws within the benefit system is part of 'the plan' I'm sure that this and other programs of the same nature may discourage claimants from claiming what they need, and therefore help government objectives.

I've read today in the indie that assessors must be trained properly, as they are all HCPs and undergo 6 weeks training it's not their training that is flawed, it's recruitment, the assessment, the criteria, and it's also the payment method and agenda itself.

In the first instance a claim should be looked at by a HCP, people with lifelong conditions and congenital disorders should automatically qualify, as these don't improve over time, they also need to bring back the specified illness criteria that we used have, this will prevent the need for regular reassessments.

Assessors should be saleried and not paid by assessment, paying them by assessment turns their job into something similar to a sales job, and will therefore encourage salesman type attitude, we saw someone with this type of attitude in this recent program.

During the training the future Assessors where reminded that the job was Disability Assessors and that they should not use their clinical knowledge during the assessment process, if this is the case the assessors don't need any clinical knowledge or qualifications as they are little more than clerks, which is actually right, the assessment is a tick box exercise based on what the claimant says during the assessment along with casual observations which should not form part of the report submitted to a decision maker and should not influence the decision.

As they don't make the decisions about PIP the DWP have got it all back to front, the decision should be made by HCPs with clinical knowledge and decisions should be made using that alongside the claimants statement.

Unfortunately all of this is just fantasy! This government, more than any I can remember has their own agenda, and making these changes wouldn't suit it!