Thread: Disabled people 'only an afterthought', Lords report says

Disabled people 'only an afterthought', Lords report says

Disabled people are only an "afterthought" for the government, a House of Lords report has said.
    The report highlighted taxi drivers refusing to take guide dogs and wheelchair-using sports fans being forced to sit with opposing fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35893432

This is a really good message to get across. I've had a lot of problems at work because employers fear the equalities Act. I've been dismissed from my job because my employer worried about me gaining more employment rights after two years of service. But they were misinformed anyway and quick to judge. They feared the rights given to me to protect me and instead dismissed me to protect themselves from liability. It's crazy that in this day and age employers still see disabled people as a burden.

Something has to change.

I remember having worked short-term contracts for the same organisation. It ended up with my working there for three continuous years - then they realised that there w4as enough work to warrant a permanent post. They said that I'd have to apply to do the5 post I'd be5en successfully doing for the last three years which didn't seem right.

I had a word with a Union rep who said they had been breaking the law because if you're employed on short 6te5rm contracts for longer than two years they have to offer you the job.

I eventually wasn't being offered short 3 month contracts so I never got letters to say one contract was finishing. Nice position to be in. They offered me the job without any interview - that was going back a good twenty years ago.

NOTE If you want to work look into short-term contracts - it's a way of getting your foot in the door and proving your worth!

Sorry this is completely irrelevant to the post but Kaff79, don't know how else to send a message. Do you have EDS? I have read a few of your posts and some of the things you have said are almost identical to my own situation. In fact, one of them I had to read twice because I thought I must have written it! X

???? agree we seem to be living the same challenges. Yes EDS/HMS and FM since having my son 4 yrs ago. We seem to both read posts in wrong order!!