Thread: SDP confusion

SDP confusion

Hey, so Im currently in the process of applying for ESA, on assessment phase and was automatically awarded SDP without applying, just sent in PIP award, im also a full time student.

Anyways, my concern is about my eligibility for SDP as I live with my mum and two sisters.

On the entitledto.co.uk site it says:

If you are single the severe disability premium (SDP) is included in your award if:

you receive a qualifying disability benefit (Attendance Allowance, constant Attendance Allowance, the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate or Personal Independence Payment daily living component at standard or enhanced rate); and
    no-one gets paid Carer's Allowance (CA) for looking after you (if your carer is eligible for CA but does not receive anything then they do not count); and
    you have no non-dependant adults living with you (unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind)

A non-dependant is a person who:

resides with the claimant, and
    is over 16 and a deduction is taken when the non-dependant is 18 or over, and
    is not a partner, or dependant child of the claimant and/or their partner, and
    is not liable for paying the rent or pays rent to you as a sub-tenant.

I recieve PIP
    Nobody is claiming carers allowance

Lastly is the non-dependants, both my mum and sister are liable for paying the rent and my other sister is only 6, according to entitled to, does this mean I qualify?

Thanks

If not I will contact dwp to get this sorted

Whew, there are a lot of double negatives in there which make it confusing.

Lets try splitting it down:

If your mum and sister are liable for paying the rent then they are not 'non-dependant persons', by line 4 of that definition. (seems odd but thats what it says).
    So
    you have no non-dependant adults living with you.
    So
    You qualify.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The rules about what constitutes a non dependant for SDP purposes are complicated. In the poster's situation I have seen SDP not awarded.

Since the amount involved is quite substantial I would be inclined to check with the DWP that they have all their information correct and ask on what basis the SDP has been awarded.

Just a couple of things.....are you sure it is SDP? - the premium names are confusing - and you say you are a full time student - does that mean you live away from home for the most part?

Please return and tell us what DWP says - would be very useful to know.

I am completely in agreement with pmlindyloo on this:
    you have no non-dependant adults living with you (unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind)
    You have 2 "non-dependant adults living with you" - your Mother and Sister, they are not dependent on you.