Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing benefit

Housing benefit

I currently private rent a one bed 1st floor flat. Due to my severe arthritis, i'm having great problems getting down the stairs. My landlord has a larger ground floor property opposite mine with a garden, but the rent is higher than my local authority cap for housing benefits. I don't want to move from my current location but just can't manage the stairs any longer. So this property opposite would be ideal. Will the council pay the current housing rate if i top it up.

i should imagine the answer is yes, But you would be better informed if you asked the council concerned as they are the ones who will know.

Even if you live in larger property than you need or one which is more in rent you will always be assessed as needing a one bed property at the local housing allowance rate. You can pay the extra money yourself as a top up.

Not trying to put a downer on your possible move, but have you spoken to your LL about this? Would you have to give notice on your current place, for example? Would you have to pay a new deposit/a month's rent in advance? Would you manage the garden?

I should speak to your landlord and see what he says.

Are you on the housing register?

If there are certain reasons why you couldn't get a ground floor place elsewhere and the LL agrees to the move then it may be possible to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment. It very much depends on your council whether they would grant this. Perhaps speak to them about your mobility problems and see what they say?

I wouldn't need to give notice or pay any rent advance or deposit. It is all through my current landlord who would still have my deposit from this flat. It would just be a case of moving from here to over the road. The council tax is the same band as here as well. I'm not on any housing register. I have had no need to put myself on one. I like the street i live in and only want the mopve as the stairs are now a problem. Ihave a fantastic landlord who has already adapted this place for me with such things as lever taps, walk in shower/wet room As for the garden, my daughter has already said she will maintain this for me. To be honest, i'm not worried about topping up the rent myself. Was just concerned that the local authority would not agree to paying me the local cap amount and me paying the top up

I would double check with your council, but as far as I'm aware you should be entitled to the maximum local housing allowance for a one-bed flat and will be able to top up the rent payments yourself. Sounds like you have a good landlord and the new flat sounds ideal, but have you worked out whether you can afford the extra rent payments every month?

Sounds like a landlord in a million!

Just inform the council of your change in circumstances re: address and new rent/council tax.

Good luck with the move.

You may have to prove to the council that you can indeed AFFORD to top up. This is simply a case of them viewing your latest bank statements and declaring savings etc.
    I know because in our search for a two bed ground floor flat (while being one couple) but needing the 2nd for medical purposes, we are in similar situation. Do speak to the council FIRST and see what they say. I imagine the landlord would be happy as you are a decent tenant as long as he gets the money.

I wouldn't need to give notice or pay any rent advance or deposit. It is all through my current landlord who would still have my deposit from this flat. It would just be a case of moving from here to over the road.
    Sorry to say that it's not quite as simple as that.
    There are a lot of legal considerations in private letting.

The current tenancy agreement that you have, whether written or verbal, is for your current flat.

The deposit is for your current flat and by law has to be in a protection scheme (or protected by insurance), and again by law you must be given information about the protection scheme.
    It must be paid back when you leave and a new tenancy agreement, with a new protected deposit, made for the new flat address.
    (If the landlord wants a new deposit that is, it is not a legal requirement to have one).

You can't just move a tenancy agreement, and deposit, from one address to another.

There are also legal periods for giving notice, but these can be waived if both parties agree to an early surrender.

Most (nearly all) of this legislation is for the protection of the tenant.

I would assume that your landlord knows about all the legal requirements if he is letting multiple properties, and from what you say he would help smooth all this out for you whilst staying within the law.

The good news is that if you qualify for HB, and your rent is more than the maximum for you area and circumstances, then you will be paid the maximum HB you are entitled to and have to top up the difference yourself.
    Millions of people do it this way.
    Last edited by nukecad; 31-03-16 at 19:37.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

nukecad is right. I privately rent and you should have signed a tenancy agreement. And you will need to sign a new one for a new flat.
    You say its costing more. Is that because its bigger? Has more than one bedroom? Cuz if there are 2, as a single person you will be hit by the bedroom tax and have to find the 14% difference yourself. Is the landlord understanding that he will get part of the rent as HB and part from you?

The bedroom tax only applies to social housing. The poster is in private accommodation. The poster's housing allowance will be the same if there are no changes in their personal circumstances.

If they have previously been assessed as being eligible for the one bed housing allowance and their personal circumstances do not change then they will continue to get the one bed local housing allowance.