Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled loos.

Disabled loos.

Hello all,

Just a short story and a bit of a rant.

I had to go out the other day, when I was out I had to stop for a rest and a drink, and subsequently needed to pay a visit to the throne room, yep you've guessed wasn't able to use the disabled toilet (I only wanted to use it because the toilets are upstairs) When I got the time I tried to find out what, if anything, I could possibly do about it in the future, but I got distracted.

And now I'm furious!

According to the mums on a certain website most think it's acceptable for anyone to use an unlocked disabled toilet! And the area designed to accommodate someone with a disability on public transport is for them if no disabled people need it. (I knew this anyway but too see it written down made me rage! Before my illness got worse I would never have used a disabled loo! Neither would I have blocked the space on a bus allocated for a disabled traveler.

But there is a way to get a little payback if you're not a wheelchair user. Use the baby changing area if there's a toilet in there.

See how they like it!

But the solution to the issue of disabled loos' how about swipe cards (like credit cards) given to disabled people on prescription. No messing with metal keys, no worries about broken locks, no difficulty turning keys.

I like that idea Archersmate as not everyone can use a key, I suppose the cards wouldn't be as hardy as a key and need replacing at intervals - good idea though.
    Sea Queen

Some people look able bodied but have serious medical issues that are hidden

Hi yep people like me! You can't tell I've got MS by looking at me, I've always used the regular loos when out until recently and this time they were upstairs anyway, and I couldn't get up and down them (too risky) my problem is, that wheelchair users don't have the option of using the able bodied loo.

Parents of young children can use the baby changing room, wheelchair users can't.

My original annoyance was that the lock on the disabled loo was broken and the door couldn't be opened! But what made me furious was actually the attitude and ignorance I found on another website

This is what happened to me on a visit to Tesco.

I was scooting round in Tesco in one of their Shopper Scooters, shopping. When I need to go to the toilet. Off I scooted to the toilets but the Disabled one was being used.

I waited and waited but no one was coming out. 25 minutes went by when a woman arrived and parked a shopping trolley beside me. She then started to bang on the Disabled Toilet door and shouted through te door that she had finished shopping and to come on out.

The door opened and two girls, aged about 10 & 8 Years, came out laughing. The woman turned, looked at me and said "This is the best way to keep the little horrors under control when I'm shopping, stick them in the Disabled Loo until I am finished"

With that she herded her two kids along and headed for the exit. When I complained to Tesco Customer Services all they did was to shrug their shoulders say that there was nothing they could do as they only have to provide the facilities, not to monitor who uses them.

I suggested that they fit a Radar Lock to the Disabled door so that only people with a key could gain access, they were not interested at all. It is bad enough that non-disabled people use the Disabled Toilets but when they are using them to park their children in so they can do their shopping in peace and quiet is......................well I won't type what I think here as the Mods might not like it.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

[QUOTE=RaspberryRipple;102220]Archersmate Do you get disapproving looks and comments for using disabled facilities?

I've not experienced anything like that yet, because I've always used regular loos until the last 6 months or so, and intend to continue to do so if I can, but often they're upstairs or downstairs in which case I've not even thought about it and just used disabled toilets, I do carry a card given to me by my MS nurse, if anyone did say anything I'm just gonna whip it out! Let em argue about that!

But I've had a few scowls off people when I've used the supermarket mobilty scooter though and I must admit when I've got home I've felt like I wanted to batter em' (I couldn't batter a fish though)

I agree that we have to be careful in making judgements about people who don't look disabled but are using accessible toilets (although that situation with the kids is madden). They aren't just for wheelchair users. Before I was pretty much full time wheelchair/scooter user I used the accessible toilets because I needed the grab rails to help get on and off. Without they I was at high risk of falling and would have really struggled to get off at all. I also needed a bit more space than many standard cubicles offer. Those with continence problems or IBS type conditions will not necessarily look disabled.

Whenever I visit the Trafford Centre I'll use one of many accessible loos available. All the accessible loos are locked and I don't often remember to take my radar key. But no worries as the loos are staffed and monitored by CCTV.

All you do is wheel up to a loo and like magic - a person turns up with a key - what a service!

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    The scenario of a woman leaving x2 kids while she shops is not only selfish but dangerous for the welfare of the children. I would have been furious also. Have you taken the complaint further?
    I tried to take it further by phoning Tesco's Customer Services, only to be told that it was up to each individual Shop Manager as to whether they get a Lock fitted to the Disabled toilets. I then tried to speak to the Manager who declined to take my call but the person whom I spoke too said that the expense of putting a Lock on the Disabled Toilets would restrict the number of people benefiting access to the Facilities. In other words they just don't care.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Just wait until something happens to kids that are left in the loo whilst mum does the shopping then there will be questions asked.
    The manager at that store should be taking your complaint seriously.

I would write to a Customer Services manager with your complaint if the call centre operatives are just shrugging it off. I would even go higher if I didn't get any joy.

Hello Kodak,

I would contact your local newspaper about your experience at tescos' depending on their political persuasion they might be interested in a piece about scummy mummys' or maybe anything negative about greedy capitalist pigs ignoring the needs of the vulnerable, it ticks both boxes, tescos will squirm and you might actually get a lock put on the door. Not to mention the example it sets.