Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled loos.

Hello Cat lover,

You're right DISABLED toilets are for DISABLED users! The clues in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    DISABLED toilets are for DISABLED users! The clues in the title.
    It's funny you should say that . . . a 'disabled toilet' means it doesn't work! Much better to call it an 'accessible toilet' used by disabled people.

Lighttouch,

Yep 'disabled toilet' is bad English it means it doesn't work! Accessible is better but not when it's not accessible because it's being used by people who don't need it or blocked by businesses using it for storage! It then becomes disabled, inaccessible and unable to accommodate people with disabilities.

[QUOTE=Archersmate;102237]
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Archersmate Do you get disapproving looks and comments for using disabled facilities?

I've not experienced anything like that yet, because I've always used regular loos until the last 6 months or so, and intend to continue to do so if I can, but often they're upstairs or downstairs in which case I've not even thought about it and just used disabled toilets, I do carry a card given to me by my MS nurse, if anyone did say anything I'm just gonna whip it out! Let em argue about that!

But I've had a few scowls off people when I've used the supermarket mobilty scooter though and I must admit when I've got home I've felt like I wanted to batter em' (I couldn't batter a fish though)
    I did have a marvellous incident in Tesco. Now I use an electric wheelchair, but can stand and walk a bit. Was reaching for some spuds and a bag fell on the floor. NOT my fault. This woman says, "that one fell on the floor" "Yes i know" says I, "I didn't touch it".
    She tuts and walks off! 5 mins later, I'm sitting in the chair and scooting past the apples. She comes over "Im SO sorry, I didn;t realise you were in a wheelchair...."
    As you say Archersmate, people ASSUME stuff ALL THE TIME. I too have the MS card but never flashed it in a shop cuz I don't know that staff are trained to know what it is or what it means!! total ignorance is the usual position!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    This is what happened to me on a visit to Tesco.

I was scooting round in Tesco in one of their Shopper Scooters, shopping. When I need to go to the toilet. Off I scooted to the toilets but the Disabled one was being used.

I waited and waited but no one was coming out. 25 minutes went by when a woman arrived and parked a shopping trolley beside me. She then started to bang on the Disabled Toilet door and shouted through te door that she had finished shopping and to come on out.

The door opened and two girls, aged about 10 & 8 Years, came out laughing. The woman turned, looked at me and said "This is the best way to keep the little horrors under control when I'm shopping, stick them in the Disabled Loo until I am finished"

With that she herded her two kids along and headed for the exit. When I complained to Tesco Customer Services all they did was to shrug their shoulders say that there was nothing they could do as they only have to provide the facilities, not to monitor who uses them.

I suggested that they fit a Radar Lock to the Disabled door so that only people with a key could gain access, they were not interested at all. It is bad enough that non-disabled people use the Disabled Toilets but when they are using them to park their children in so they can do their shopping in peace and quiet is......................well I won't type what I think here as the Mods might not like it.
    Sorry Kodiak but......if I was waiting any longer than 7 minutes on the outside of a disabled toilet door I would be chapping on it to see how much longer I would have to wait to use it and if I didn't get an answer I would be calling for help as it could be someone in need of help! To wait 25 minutes is just daft...you could have gone home and used your own loo in that length of time!

Hmmm, this can go both ways. I am disabled but also have young children. I have never parked in a disabled bay when not entitled to, nor a parent and child when not entitled to. One day, I needed to go to Tesco. My husband was in hospital and we really needed some items. I was in agony, struggling to walk and there was one parent and child space left. I was indicating to go in when a woman cut in front of me and parked there. I opened my window to point out she had no kids, and she shouted at me saying she had priority as SHE was disabled. I was too gobsmacked to reply because she was really aggressive. On this particular day, she was certainly a lot more able bodied than I was. The nearest space after that was about 200 metres away. I parked there and cried for about 10mins because I didn't know what to do. Then I just went home and didn't get the shopping.
    I think you just get ignorant people anywhere, doesn't matter if they are parents or disabled or neither. I would have been furious about the woman keeping her kids in the toilet while she went shopping though, that's just ridiculous!

Whilst I was at the hospital yesterday I was sat in the cafe next to a mum with two 9 or 10 year old kids, a lass and a lad.

When the kids wanted a pee she sent them, one by one, in into the accessible toilet and stood outside the door.

When she sat down again I politely asked her about this and her reply was interesting.

"Well I can take the young lass into the ladies with me, but he refuses saying he is too big now to go into the girls toilets, and I don't feel safe sending him into the gents on his own, you never know who is in there."

Which to me was a fair enough answer, but a sad indictment on our society.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I went to a wetherspoons yesterday for lunch with a friend...actually remembered to take my Radar key with me!

Problem is, is you don't have a key, a member of staff will happily open it for you. Well, I went to use the toilet..but there was somebody in there. Fair enough. I then had a dilemma...should I walk up two flights of stairs, very slowly, of course, or should I wait. I decided to wait.

When the woman finally emerged, she apologised for being so long, she had a sudden tummy upset and wouldn't have made it up the stairs in time. I thought "oh, well, that's more than reasonable!"

....until, I got into the toilet.

She completely failed to even make an attempt at flushing the toilet, wiping the seat etc..vile!

To be fair, I told a member of staff and it was sorted promptly. By then I was desperate for the toilet! And..after, when I went to order another drink, the woman who has sorted it all out offered me a free coffee for the trouble

Wetherspoons is usually good abt access and having disabled loos. I will say that for them.

No comment required about this gentleman's behaviour, but I'm presuming he followed his logic through and also used the disabled toilet.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....abled-11125678