Thread: ESA advice required

ESA advice required

Hi, I've been on ESA for a while. I think I'm in the income related group. I also receive housing benefit but nothing else.

The main reason I was put on ESA was psychological issues.

I've been sent a 'Capability for Work Questionnaire'.

Does anyone have any advice on filling this form out? I'm worried a minor error might cause issues with the decision makers. Thanks.

There are two types of ESA: Income based, and contributions based.

The two groups for ESA are Work Related Activity Group, and Support Group.

All I can say about filling a form out is be as honest as possible - Don't think about it as explaining your problems, explain why they would stop you from working, as after all, it's to see what work you are capable of, not what you can't do.

Do not use your 'worse' days, if your condition fluctuates, say so. I know people that have been caught out by saying that they are pretty much housebound, but then they have attended an assessment or an appointment. On a 'good' day, that person may be able to leave the house to go to the shop or visit a friend - Automatic contradiction, if that makes sense?

In reality, you should paint a realistic picture of everything.

The 'Capability for Work questionaire' you have received is also known as an ESA50.

You will have had to fill one in when you first claimed ESA, (or maybe someone filled it for you?).

You will usually get asked to fill one again at various times whilst you are still claiming ESA, this is quite normal, nearly all of us get them.
    (I'm expecting one myself shortly).
    You might not get one for a few years, you might get one every year, it all depends on which ESA group you are in, and what was decided last time you filled one in.

You said in a previous thread that you have just had an extended period out of the country, (you never actually told us where you went or how long you were away but I think you were intending 6-8 weeks?).

It could be because of this that you have been sent a new questionaire - their thinking being that if you can cope with traveling abroad for that long you may be able to cope with work.

As the other have said just be truthful when answering the questions.
    Describe how you are on an 'average' day. (Not your best or your worst, just how you are most of the time).

Most of the questions are 'tick the box' and there are some spaces where you can give a few more details.

If you are concerned about filling it in then CAB or another local advice provider (try the council) can help you, they do this all the time.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.