Thread: Telling esa about when I start work

Telling esa about when I start work

Hi, I'm on ESA and starting work on the 4th April, is it ok not tell esa department about this untill few days before I start as I won't be getting any benefits once I tell them? I know once I start all benefits will stop and I'm a single mum and need my benefit money to get us all by untill then, but don't want to get into any trouble not telling them now, I'm not doing anything wrong as I actailly don't start untill the 4th of April.

Your new employer will need either a P45 or a P46. A P45 you get from the job centre, and they won't give you that without signing you off. Even if you start with a P46 instead, you have to declare whether or not you have received JSA. Both go through HMRC, who may run checks to confirm what you've declared.

Additionally, the employer informs the job centre and anywhere else where the job has been advertised that the position has been filled and the ad should be removed. If it's an agency, they inform the employer immediately because it's commission for them.

If an employer has to go through the cost of re-advertising and re-hiring, you can bet they will inform the job centre.

In short, the job centre will find out eventually, and your JSA claim will be stopped. If you quit the job you accepted, then the job centre can prevent you from getting any money for up to 26 weeks. If you don't tell them you took on the job and that you quit, it's almost certain you will be penalised to the max.

Be grateful, and accept whatever job you are given. It's much easier to get another job when you're in a job, so think of it as a stepping stone to something better, if you must.

I'm not sure where you copied that from LT, but it seems to be a warning to a Jobseeker (JSA) thinking about about starting work and still claiming JSA?

Vick,

I see you have decided against trying doing this as permitted work, fair enough that's your choice.

Of course you must tell the DWP/Jobcentre if you start work, (not least because as that quote by LT says you will need them to issue a P45 for your new employer).

There is no reason to put off telling them if you have a set start date, you are just telling them you want to stop your claim from the date you start work.

You may also find that some benefits can run on for a period after you start work (Housing benefit and Coucil Tax Relief can run on for 4 weeks for example).
    https://www.gov.uk/moving-from-benef...-start-working

As you are moving from ESA to work there may also be other help you can get under the Access to Work scheme.
    https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview

I would have thought it would be in your interest to go to the jobcentre and talk about this whilst you have the time before you start work.
    Last edited by nukecad; 16-03-16 at 15:19.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi there thanks for your advice. I will of course tell DWP about work just didn't know when was best, when I tell the DWP will they just send me through my p45? Or do I have to go to see my advisor for this? Prefere not to go and see my advisor to be honest. Thanks

Yes they will send one out when you close your claim.
    It may take a few weeks to come through the post though, like everything else.

If you haven't received it by the time you start your new job then your new employer will put you on an 'emergency' tax code until they do get it.
    https://www.gov.uk/emergency-tax-code

This could mean you pay a bit more tax to start with, which will be paid back later (but maybe not until the end of the tax year).
    However as you are doing 16 hours at minimum wage this will probably not make a difference in your particular case.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.