Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My care package from direct payments and the dwp saying is class as savings

I have to admit that I was ill advised by our social care services at the initial setting up of my daughters D.P. It was at a time when Social care workers didn't seem to know that much about it themselves and so were ill equipped with information in helping others.
    I have never penned a letter to DWP telling them of daughters D.P as it wasn't something I had been told I needed to do. However if on any of the forms we have sent out I'm sure this would have been disclosed by me as I am very up front with information.
    Any monies which you are not using from D.P. will be taken back and will be viewed as over funded. You may have your monthly D.P. allowance dropped under a re-assessment.
    Sea Queen

If I told them the dwp before I taken direct payments it wouldn't be class as savings this what the dwp said direct payments team says its not I topd them its only class as guide lines so it can be class as savings we had a separate bank account sor the money to play care agency but the dwp says it still class as saving we even went to a tribunal even they said its class as savings the judge said

What I can't understand is why the DP team have allowed you to accrue so much monies so they are classed as savings - it is 'not' your money! It belongs to social care or which ever pot it comes out of. I am taking it, that you are, because of the accrued DP monies over the permitted allowance of savings when on benefits.?
    Sorry but I think this is more complex than what you are telling us.
    Sea Queen

I agree sea queen. If the account my DP is in gets even a little bit "fat", they are after me fast enough to say, "we'll have £400 back, thank you very much". Plus social services ANYWHERE should really be on top of RAS (resource allocated spending) and personal budgets. If social services are talking to fastwheels direct payments team, the council whereever he/she is are really not doing their job

Quote Originally Posted by fastwheels View Post
    If I told them the dwp before I taken direct payments it wouldn't be class as savings this what the dwp said direct payments team says its not I topd them its only class as guide lines so it can be class as savings we had a separate bank account sor the money to play care agency but the dwp says it still class as saving we even went to a tribunal even they said its class as savings the judge said
    Sorry, first of all you said the Direct Payments were going into your main account - now you say you had a separate bank account to pay the care agency.

Which is it?

I'm with sea queen here - there is far more going on here than you are telling us.