Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLA/PIP Abroad

DLA/PIP Abroad

I am a carer for my disabled wife. I am in receipt of Carers Allowance and my wife is currently in receipt of DLA (Middle Care & Higher Mobility) for an indefinite period and as not yet been asked to apply for PIP.
    We would like to emigrate to another EU country and understand that my Carers Allowance and the care component of my wife's DLA can be exported to another EU country.
    We believe it would be in our interest to make the move abroad before the EU referendum takes place but we would like to know what happens when my wife is invited to apply for PIP if we are already in another EU country.
    For example, would she be able to be assessed by ATOS from abroad or would this have to done here in the UK?
    Any advice greatly appreciated as we are not getting any answers from the relative authorities. (DWP/ATOS etc)

Mobility component cannot be exported abroad so your wife will lose that if you move. You must contact the DWP exportability team before you move abroad in any case to retain eligibility for benefits and I would imagine that will trigger an invitation to claim PIP, but as to how a face to face is handled if required, I have no idea. I suppose it's possible you would be expected to return to the UK for an assessment.

We believe it would be in our interest to make the move abroad before the EU referendum
    Why would it be ?

As the UK is still part of the EU the rules state that the Care Component of DLA/PIP and Carers Allowance can be exported to another EU member state.
    Personal opinions and second guessing is not the information I seek, so unless you are sure of the facts, please don't fill my thread up with such comments, whilst genuine attempts to help are greatly appreciated.
    Does anyone have real experience or knowledge to answer my original question please?

Taken from the link i posted..............

Going abroad permanently to another EEA country or Switzerland

You may get Disability Living Allowance care component, Personal Independence Payment living component, Attendance Allowance or Carer’s Allowance as appropriate if you or a family member are eligible and:

work in the UK or pay National Insurance in the UK because of work
    have paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution-based benefits
    are getting State Pension, Industrial Injuries Benefit, contribution-based ESA or bereavement benefits
    You can’t claim Disability Living Allowance mobility component and Personal Independence Payment mobility component abroad.
    Last edited by Gentlegiant; 15-03-16 at 09:59.

As you must contact the DWP exportability team in any case to do this I would suggest your best source of accurate information is them: they will have all the answers you need. Exportability Co-ordinator, Room B201, Pension, Disability and Carers Service, Warbreck House, Warbreck Hill Road, Blackpool FY2 OYE or email exportability.team@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.
    I also found this thread on the subject by searching the forum http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...-moving-abroad

Maybe the CAB could help,

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    As the UK is still part of the EU the rules state that the Care Component of DLA/PIP and Carers Allowance can be exported to another EU member state.
    Personal opinions and second guessing is not the information I seek, so unless you are sure of the facts, please don't fill my thread up with such comments, whilst genuine attempts to help are greatly appreciated.
    Does anyone have real experience or knowledge to answer my original question please?

Actually the second part of your post sounds rude and to direct it to members who are only trying to help isn't the right thing to do.

Someone remarked that they couldn't understand why you would get these benefits when not living in the UK - it is one of my beefs that unfortunately people do - and then when ill health strikes they want to come back here to get the perks.

I hope you get what you want but I don't agree with it.
    Sea Queen

I don't make the rules....have worked and paid my taxes in the UK for 30+ years and my wife has a disability from birth....why shouldn't we be allowed to retire to the another EU country and get what other EU nationals get here?

Bump!

Last edited by rich66; 15-03-16 at 16:33.