Thread: Closing an ESA Claim

Closing an ESA Claim

Hi,

Just wanted to ask what the process is for closing an ESA claim. I am not ready to go back to work just yet but feel by the summer I could be. I am now in a position that my ESA (Income related) will not provide me with any finance so to save hassle I am considering closing my claim down altogether.

What is the Process? What will the DWP need? Will there be forms to fill in or will a phone call and something in writing be enough? I don't want to contact them and ask as I feel they might jump at the chance to close a claim down etc... So I'm a little stuck where to get the advice.

Well as others have said in your other thread it is up to you if you want to close your claim entirely.

This will lead to you not getting any NI credits towards your pension until you get back to work though.
    (This might not seem important now, but probably will when its time to get your pension).

I understand your girlfriends reluctance to divulge her financial details, but it may be worth divulging what she will so as to possibly keep your NI credits.

If you do want to stop it completely, I would wait until you move in with your partner.
    Then call the DWP and tell them you want to end your claim as from the date you moved in together.
    This should ensure you get paid up until the date you moved in.

They will be quite happy to close your claim there and then.

EDIT-
    I see from your other post you say you have already started living as a couple.
    Be aware that if this is the case then any ESA you have been paid since you moved in will have to be paid back.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-03-16 at 16:15.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks,

I've not received any money since informing them and I informed them on the day I moved in, but I will bear that in mind.

I think the best bet is to fill in the ESA3 form, I've spoken to my girlfriend and she's sort of okay with payslips and bank account. But she has an ISA and some shares (left to her) etc that she really would rather she kept to herself, though looking through the form I'm not sure they will need prints of these anyway.

Thanks again