Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **28 days to leave rented flat**

**28 days to leave rented flat**

Hi everybody

Hope someone can help me with this one.
    I have rented my 1 bedroom flat for the last 4 years.
    I am a private tennant (not council)
    Today I got a letter from my landlord giving me 28 days to find alternative accomodation.

Landlord told me they cant afford the upkeep of the flat and are selling it.

I live in Scotland just mentioned that because the rental laws may be different in the rest of UK.

I have not left my flat for about a year with exception of the A&E in an ambulance a few times.

I have severe agarophobia, severe panic attacks, anxiety and all the symptoms that accompany this << so in short I have mental health problems.

I'm wondering what to do, I'm on standard care and mobility (PIP) an severe disability premium (ESA).

I have no saving and no extra money, my first PIP payment is the middle of this month.

Would the council be able to give me a council house ? And any other info/advice you guys and girls could give me would be most welcome.

Thankyou in advance for any replies.

I suggest you contact your local Council/Housing Association as soon as possible for advice. They may consider you as homeless, but that does not mean they would have a suitable property to offer you.

They may have a Deposit scheme, where they lend you the deposit for another private rental, (this is kept in a separate account by the new landlord and returned to you at the end of a tenancy, you then pay it back to the Council). I have used this scheme in the past.

You really need to get the ball rolling and get advice as soon as possible. I understand this will be hard for you due to your health problems, but if you ring them and explain your difficulties, they may be able to arrange a home visit.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I would contact your local authority and maybe Shelter http://scotland.shelter.org.uk

Sooner rather than later, you may feel better 'getting the ball rolling' rather than waiting.

Wishing you all the best. Others perhaps can give more specific/detailed advice.

I'm afraid that as a private landlord he has a right to do that. Contact the council ASAP and as you are going to be evicted you SHOULD be dealt with promptly. Meanwhile contact social services and DWP - this is the "change in circumstances" that they need notifying of.
    Also start packing your stuff up now! It always takes way longer than you think.
    If you get anxiety, I would contact friends to try and help you with this.
    As a single person - house unlikely. One bed flat possibly.

Do not panic. There is a legal procedure that the landlord has to follow which would give you more time.

Read this and then give Shelter a call.

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_a...opics/eviction

I don't know if you've ever considered shared accommodation through just taking a bedroom in a shared house if all else fails.

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare...=age&mode=list

Put your preferred search area and see what pops up. You will probably need to pay a month up front as a deposit. This is sometimes known as a 'bond'. Local Authorities 'Private Sector Housing' might help you out with this.

If you want to rent a flat I'd advise that you go through an accredited letting agency. Either phone these places or ask a friend to call them and remember to tell them you are on Housing Benefit as not all Landlords will accept this.
    http://www.landlordaccreditationscotland.com/listing/

General information about renting in Scotland and deposits
    https://rentingscotland.org/tenants-...nancy-deposits

Getting deposits back when your landlord asks you to leave
    https://rentingscotland.org/tenants-...g-deposit-back

Scottish Tenancy Information Pack
    http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Env...ts/tip/tenants

Hope this compliments other information given.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My mum brought me a council housing application this morning and she just took it back to them 5 mins ago.

I will keep everyone updated as to what happens next.

It's hard not to stress.

As others have said, get in touch with local council and housing associations to see what they can offer you. Take photocopies of the letter from your landlord.

Also depending on your landlord, id maybe keep him informed of your progress. He doesnt want the hassle and expense of taking you to court and if it happens to take a little longer he may be flexible in extending that 28 days. 28 days really isnt long to find somewhere. Especially if you dont have savings to cover moving costs.

I was just googling the scotland housing act, maybe I read it wrong but as I understood it, it said that landlord have top issue a section 33 with the 28 days notice, section 33 is 2 months

If the procedure in Scotland is the same is in England then the landlord will have to take you to court to get an eviction. The 28 days notice may just be a notice for possession. The actual eviction would need a court order. If this is the process in Scotland then it will give you more time for alternative accommodation.

So, telephone Shelter (Scotland) and find out the process the landlord needs to take.

The reason why this is important is because the council may insist that you wait until you get a court eviction before they will offer you alternative accommodation.

It is good that you have made an application to go on the housing list but what you need to do is make a homeless application. The council must accept this application if you are going to be made homeless in the next 28 days - read this. This is different to making an application to go on the housing list.

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_a...ss_application

PLEASE RING SHELTER.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 08-03-16 at 13:45.