Thread: Query? working and being on ESA

Query? working and being on ESA

Anyone know if you can be in receipt of ESA and do a part time job? The number of hours etc?

There are some rules about doing permitted work and you can do some paid work, but as I've never claimed ESA I'm not sure how it works. Hopefully someone who knows more will be along on the forum to give you more info, but if you google permitted work rules for ESA that might help you find out more.

If there's a part-time job you fancy having a go at - once you get a firm offer of a job by phone or email then self refer to Access to Work. If it's too far to travel to and from work and the bus is inaccessible then AtW would pay for a taxi.

If you needed special software like 'Dragon'AtW would buy the software, headphones and mic plus 6 half day 121 lessons on how to use it.

Basically they'd have a chat with you and see you in situ ASAP to find out what barriers you face in the workplace. They may even get you a new wheelchair!

Here's what I found on the net . . .

Claiming ESA if you work

Your ESA isn’t usually affected if you either:

• earn up to £20 a week
    • work for less than 16 hours a week and earn up to £107.50 a week, for 52 weeks or less (or for any length of time if you’re in the support group)

This is called ‘permitted work’.
    You can also do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £107.50 a week. This must be part of a treatment programme, or supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people.
    There’s no limit to the number of hours per week or length of time you can do ‘supported permitted work’ for.
    You must tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if you start doing permitted work. They’ll send you form PW1 to fill in and send back to them.
    Any volunteer work you do needs to be reported. It normally doesn’t affect your ESA.

Here's my standard advice on working whilst claiming ESA-

You can do some 'Permitted Work' whilst claiming ESA, which can include self employment.
    (This is legally called 'Exempt Work', but for simplicity I'll keep using Permitted Work here).

You should inform the DWP if you intend to do, or have already done, any work whilst claiming ESA.
    If this is paid work they will send you form PW1 that you fill in and return.
    They will then confirm if the work is within the permitted limits.
    If you have already done the work and it is not within the limits you may lose benefits.

You can find an example here: Example PW1
    You shouldn't print this off and use it, it is watermarked 'For Information' on each page. Get a form from the Jobcentre or DWP which will have their contact details, etc. filled in.

There are rules with permitted work of course and one of the important ones depends on whether you are in WRAG or Support Group.
    (I will leave out 'supported permitted work' as this has special rules).

Firstly you can do Permitted Work at the Lower Limit - with this you can earn up to £20 a week for an unlimited period. Both WRAG and SG can do this.

Or you can do Permitted Work at the Higher Limit - with this you can earn up to £107.50 after tax and national insurance deductions and the work must be less than 16 hours a week.
    (This is set to increase to £115.50 from April 2016)

If you are in WRAG you can only do this Permitted Work at the Higher Limit for 52 weeks then have to have a 52 week break.
    (Even if you only do Permitted Work for one day that starts the 52 week period after which you can't do anymore for the next 52 weeks).
    The Minister for Employment has recently indicated that this 52 week limit is to be removed in the near future.

If you are in Support Group this 52 week cycle does not apply, you can keep on doing Permitted Work as long as you like.

Money earned from Permitted Work does not affect your ESA payments.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks peeps, don't think I'll get it anyway....the hours are wrong for me.