Thread: Commons debate on Lords Ammendments to bill proposing reduction to ESA WRAG

Commons debate on Lords Ammendments to bill proposing reduction to ESA WRAG

Hansard House of Commons debate records from Wednesday 02 March.
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...16030293000001

A debate about the proposed cuts to new ESA WRAG claims, and the House of Lords second blocking of the proposal by means of ammendments to the bill.
    As you can imagine the government are not happy about these 'Potentially wrecking ammendments' from the House of Lords.

The debate is pretty long, which shows MPs have a lot to say about these proposed cuts, and continues onto the next page - click on 'Next Section' at the bottom.

The debate was cut short because of time limits and they voted 309 to 274 to 'Disagree with the Lords amandments' and now have to give their reasons to the House of Lords.

Lots of interesting stuff in there.
    One statement that particually caught my eye, from the Minister for Employment (Priti Patel).
    Finally, we will improve the work incentives for those who continue to receive ESA even further by removing the 52-week limit that applies to permitted work for those in the ESA WRAG
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-03-16 at 11:51.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Love how the Government tries to spin it by saying its to help people into work. It's really about saving the Goverment money, nothing more.

Cuts to new claims for ESA WRAG going ahead.

Well the Lords tried but have finally had to back down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35749078

What is needed now is a big public outcry like there was with the proposed cuts to Working Tax Credits.
    Don't hold your breath.

(And BTW there are cuts to WTC that are still going ahead, despite Osbourne's climbdown / u-turn on the WTC cuts).

EDIT.
    Just to be clear- these proposed ESA cuts do not affect anyone who is already claiming ESA, they are for new claims only, after April 2017.

Which in itself is slightly odd because Universal Credit was supposed to be rolled out and have replaced IR ESA by then, so it would only affect new claims for CB ESA that were awarded WRAG.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-03-16 at 14:09.

But it seems that existing claimants may be affected when they change to UC, this is the word I am hearing on a few forums. I am not sure of the ins and outs of it, but something along the lines of UC switchover being treated as a new claim, thus enabling the DWP to cut the ESA component in UC.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    But it seems that existing claimants may be affected when they change to UC, this is the word I am hearing on a few forums. I am not sure of the ins and outs of it, but something along the lines of UC switchover being treated as a new claim, thus enabling the DWP to cut the ESA component in UC.
    There is transitional protection of payments for those who will be switching from ESA to UC, similar to the protection given for those changing from IB to ESA.
    ie. you payments will not go down when transfered, but will not increase either until UC payments catch up.
    The Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) Regulations 2013
    And 2014 ammendments
    (I've only glanced at these as yet).

Of course there is always going to be a problem of a change of circumstances ending the transitional protection.
    (Or if they find you fit-for-work and the tribunal agrees).
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-03-16 at 20:52.

I can't get my head round this.
    Daughter is in S/G and in her initial letter informing of this we were told she would be in the IR and CB - will she be on this UC malarky or not as I thought it was right across the board?
    Sea Queen

I am on ESA WRAG at the moment, slightly worrying for us. So basically after April 2017 I will be down by £30 and and the ESA WRAG benefit will be the same rate as JSA? I am already confused about the UC, when is that taking place?

If I am place into ESA WRAG, in the near future. (Been placed in the WRAG 2 times now) I think I am going to push myself for the ESA support group. As a lady said once at Ingeus I should be in that group. I never push it as I have been always been afraid, that I would be taken off ESA for good.

Seaqueen,

Universal Credit does/will replace IR benefits, it does not (and will not) replace CB benefits.
    So her CB ESA will remain CB ESA - but any IR top-up component will, at some time, change to the UC equivalent.

Shystar,

If you are already claiming ESA then this proposed cut does not affect you, it will only affect NEW claims made after April 2017.
    Thats NEW claims, not reassessments.

As I said above in answer to SQ whether you will eventually get transfered onto Universal Credit depends on if you get an Income Related (IR) benefit or a Contribution Based (CB) benefit.

IR benefits will get changed to Universal Credit, CB benefits will not.

Which ESA group you are in does not matter as such, it's just whether you get IR or CB.

Thanks nukecad that sounds as if it will get rather complicated when this happens!
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    Thanks nukecad that sounds as if it will get rather complicated when this happens!
    Oh, yes.

Lets face it, most people in the UK are going to be on UC, even those who are working.
    Its not just for ESA, JSA, & IS.

Anyone who currently gets Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, or Working Tax Credit will have that changed to UC.