Thread: PIP assessment yesterday

PIP assessment yesterday

After asking for a review of my PIP due to a deterioration in my mobility, I finally had my assessment yesterday. The assessor was okay, very matter of fact but reasonably pleasant and seemed to know a lot about the medication I take and the conditions I have. I was awarded daily living standard rate just over a year ago but only got 4 points on mobility, which I felt was a fair award at the time. However the arthritis in my knees has deteriorated massively in the last 6 months and I was awarded a blue badge and now have to rely on a mobility scooter to get around (which I took to the assessment). After asking lots of questions and giving me a brief examination which seemed to consist of her checking my range of movement, the degree of swelling in my knees and the strength, she said one was clearly weaker than the other, confirming what I'd put on the form and what I'd told her. She seemed to accept my explanation of the constant pain, stiffness and disrupted sleep which had led to what she termed secondary depression due to my life becoming more restricted because of my reduced mobility, and she noted the aids and adaptions provided by the council's OT for cooking, showering, using the loo and dressing (which is why I got standard daily living in the first place). She said at the end of the assessment that there had been a deterioration since my last assessment and that I may see a change in my award, so I'm hoping this means I might get the standard mobility I was hoping for. It's just a case of waiting for the brown envelope and hoping I don't have the same experience as others who have felt their assessment went ok, assessor hinting that they may get enough points for an award and then getting no points after assessor sends report to DWP saying they have no difficulties. She said 4-8 weeks before I'm likely to get a decision which seems an awfully long time to wait, just hoping it might be sooner.

All the best and we do hope you get the correct level of support and care that you need.

From previous experiences even as friendly and understanding these HCP may be in the assessment, they sometimes have the tendency to reflect this completely different on the report they write.

I am not trying to get your hopes down, but stay focused and continue to seek advise etc for your next steps in this matter if need be.

LA
    Last edited by LondonAble; 03-03-16 at 20:27. Reason: spelling error

Thanks, I've read it so many times on the forum about people who have been shocked to get no points after thinking their assessor was understanding and accurately recorded what they'd said. I was very clear and think I explained things pretty well, but you never know with these so-called professionals. She never even said what her speciality was, so I've no idea whether she was a physio, a nurse or whatever else. I'm going to find this waiting hard, but there's not a lot I can do about it other than have a plan ready for an MR letter if I need one.

This waiting game itself can be draining. But there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. From what you have described it does seem you have a lot of things covered. You will be surprised how much support suddenly all falls into place after having no support at all. I do hope things work out for you. If you require anything else do ask, even though I am post wise a new member I have been around a long time!

LA

Quote Originally Posted by Caley View Post
    but you never know with these so-called professionals. She never even said what her speciality was, so I've no idea whether she was a physio, a nurse or whatever else.
    Ive had 2 pip claims. To this day i still dont know the profession of the first assessor. The reports simply referred to her as a "health professional" whatever that is. The second one was an occupational therapist, whatever they are meant to be.

Im now awaiting tribunal due to the nonsense in her report.

Unfortunately its really difficult to ascertain what their profession really is. From my experience they seem to be at most an OT. Others seem like they are straight from a call-centre / office. Am not putting any of these professions down, from my experience a few dont even conduct themselves as as even remotely close to an HCP.

My first assessor when I got standard daily living was a physio, which because my main problem was arthritis was probably the best kind of professional to assess me. This second one, I have no idea but my husband who was sat kind of behind her and watched what she typed on the screen said she'd put 15-20 metres under walking distance. This would put me on enhanced mobility, but I'm not holding my breath - for all we know she could have amended it after we left. It's awful when you just can't trust these people who are supposed to be health professionals, and for people who have mental health problems like my hubby, it just seems ridiculous that they are being assessed by physios who probably only have a few hours "training" on what is a serious and life-changing condition, which is probably why so many with mental health problems get turned down - it's just not fair!