Thread: Renewing current lease - New contract or not?

Renewing current lease - New contract or not?

If we were to renew our current lease would it be on a new contract with the new terms, ie no one outside 5 miles radius can drive etc or would the current contract be renewed with the current conditions as they are now?

I'm asking as we are dependent on our daughter to drive the car and as she lives more than 5 miles away she won’t be eligible under the new rules, if we could just renew our current car that would be great. I believe you can renew for another two years if the millage is low, I think ours will be about 30k, we’ve made no claims and the car is as new, anyone looked into this?

My understanding is that all leases both those being renewd and theose first timers will be on the new terms and conditions.
    However Motability have siad regarding the 5 mile limit that they will look at each case individually when asked to
    So I would contact Motability to get a response to your dilema

Quote Originally Posted by Glover1862 View Post
    If we were to renew our current lease would it be on a new contract with the new terms, ie no one outside 5 miles radius can drive etc or would the current contract be renewed with the current conditions as they are now?

I'm asking as we are dependent on our daughter to drive the car and as she lives more than 5 miles away she won’t be eligible under the new rules, if we could just renew our current car that would be great. I believe you can renew for another two years if the millage is low, I think ours will be about 30k, we’ve made no claims and the car is as new, anyone looked into this?
    Motability will only allow you to keep the car if its done less than 15000 miles as the cost start to rise as the car gets older and it continues to depreciate.

I was allowed to extend my lease for an additional two years despite having done 20,000 miles. I think they look at cases individually so you'll never know unless you try.

I don't think they'll bar your daughter from driving as she lives over 5 miles away. It's all about 'common sense' rules. Just explain the situation to them and you'll find things will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I was allowed to extend my lease for an additional two years despite having done 20,000 miles. I think they look at cases individually so you'll never know unless you try.

I don't think they'll bar your daughter from driving as she lives over 5 miles away. It's all about 'common sense' rules. Just explain the situation to them and you'll find things will work out.
    "The car should be kept at the address provided to the dealer when the order is placed"

This makes it useless, we need the car with our daughter so she can come back and forth to our house, I've had at least a dozen emergency's last year, no point the car being parked at my house.

I've still got a year left but me and wife are slightly worried, need to start saving to buy a car if it doesn't work out. Son in law has told us not to worry and they’ll just buy another car, but really I know they can't afford it and they'll only be buying it for us, they do enough and wouldn't want to be even more of a burden on them. To make matter worse my daughter has lost all her no claimes discount (9 years ) as two years have expired since she last had insurance, she'll have to start from scratch which will make hell of a differnce to the price.

Not neccessarily, RSA will give you a letter stating how many years she has been on their insurance claim free and some companies will accept this and give you no claims bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Not neccessarily, RSA will give you a letter stating how many years she has been on their insurance claim free and some companies will accept this and give you no claims bonus.
    Not many though, and they tend to be the more expensive companies, had this issue when I had company insurance. even if accepted it will only be for three years, the length she's been driving the Motability car, she would have lost 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glover1862 View Post
    "The car should be kept at the address provided to the dealer when the order is placed"

This makes it useless, we need the car with our daughter so she can come back and forth to our house, I've had at least a dozen emergency's last year, no point the car being parked at my house.

I've still got a year left but me and wife are slightly worried, need to start saving to buy a car if it doesn't work out. Son in law has told us not to worry and they’ll just buy another car, but really I know they can't afford it and they'll only be buying it for us, they do enough and wouldn't want to be even more of a burden on them. To make matter worse my daughter has lost all her no claimes discount (9 years ) as two years have expired since she last had insurance, she'll have to start from scratch which will make hell of a differnce to the price.
    It also says "We will however, consider requests to include drivers outside of this range where this is essential to support the customer’s needs. In these cases, we will require additional information to be provided " http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk...&ObjectId=2840
    However. reading your post I am under the assumption that you want the car to live at your daughters address and be used full time by your daughter and her familiy with occaisional use for you?
    If I have read that correctlyu, that is what the scheme is being pillioried for and Motability clients haveing harsh rules now applied. If you want them tio have a car of their own, which you occaisionally get the benefit from, you would be better to buy or lease a car using your DLA payments (See the Peugeot "Just add fuel promotion") than using the Motability scheme.
    Last edited by warkman; 15-02-12 at 10:27.

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    It also says "We will however, consider requests to include drivers outside of this range where this is essential to support the customer’s needs. In these cases, we will require additional information to be provided " http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk...&ObjectId=2840
    However. reading your post I am under the assumption that you want the car to live at your daughters address and be used full time by your daughter and her familiy with occaisional use for you?
    If I have read that correctlyu, that is what the scheme is being pillioried for and Motability clients haveing harsh rules now applied. If you want them tio have a car of their own, which you occaisionally get the benefit from, you would be better to buy or lease a car using your DLA payments (See the Peugeot "Just add fuel promotion") than using the Motability scheme.
    The car is used daily for my benefit, my daughter picks up the kids from school and we have our early evening meal together, she cooks , or we go out, she does the cleaning and anything els ethat needs doing. The fact that I get to see my grandchildren on a daily basis to me is a massive benefit alone! Are motability starting to tell people what should be considered a benefit to them now?

No point the car being parked at my house, we can't drive it and it won't be available in emergencies. Having this car was our way of making a contribution to all the running around they do for us, looks like we’ll have to buy another car now, thanks for your advice about the Peugeot scheme.