Thread: Adaptive Servo-Ventilation for Sleep Apnoea

Adaptive Servo-Ventilation for Sleep Apnoea

Does anyone use this method?

I have Complex Sleep Apneoa, consisting of both Obstructive and Central.

I have been using CPAP for a few years now and once I got used to it, began to feel the benefits. However over the last year my Apneoa has become worse. My machine was going into overdrive every night, to the point of me waking up, having to stop and restart the machine. I am waking up with headaches every day and feeling tired to the point of exhaustion. Also, despite using a humidifier, I am constantly getting sores etc in my nasal passages.

I had my routine check up last year and the clinic upped the pressure on my CPAP, saying it should help. It did not. I am still having major problems. Anyway, I had an appointment last week and there are some problems. My Apneoa has increased dramatically even though I use my machine every night. The Apneoa episodes are occurring 71% during sleep, previously it was 47%.

Myself and the clinic can find no obvious cause for the deterioration. They have raised the pressure on my CPAP to the maximum and I have to go back in a couple of months. I am using my CPAP every night and still having major problems. Waking up several times through the night, headaches and extreme tiredness.

The clinic have suggested an inpatient sleep study, (previous ones were done at home) and the possibility of ASV.

Does anyone have experience of using ASV and is it better for you than CPAP?
    Any input, advice or experiences gratefully received.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hello Babyblue. I had issues with cpap machine and was given an apap machine. The constant pressure from the cpap was to much for me and meant I was struggling to breath. The apap however, has a low starting pressure that can be time set. I use 30 mins which allows me to fall asleep before the pressure ramps up. Through out the night the pressure varies according to my needs.

I found this
    Which gives you an idea of the AVS machine and how it works compared to cpap.

I hope this is of some use for you.

Thanks for the input Joss.

I will be discussing all possibilities when I next see my consultant.

I think it will be a case of an inpatient sleep study, leading to trial by machine, lol.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.