Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Views on being called a cripple today ..

I think in a professional setting as described its.. Unprofessional..

I use the term among people I know very well, and in a lighthearted context. I would not use it in public.

Totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingKidney View Post
    I think in a professional setting as described its.. Unprofessional..

I use the term among people I know very well, and in a lighthearted context. I would not use it in public.

This is a very good point. Hubby and I will affectionately refer to each other as decrepit old gits and joke about our conditions and often poke fun at ourselves as a way of dealing with stuff, and I'm sure many people like a bit of banter and lighthearted joking with their friends and family, but that is completely different to a so-called professional or a stranger saying such things, especially in public!

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    My user name is Cockney Rhyming slang for Cripple.
    Ah, but we call you Razzy not Ripple.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Terminology is very important. Any Public body that serves the public should give front line staff Disability Awareness Training to new employees. It they don't then the manager is at fault.

It's OK for disabled people to use the word 'crip'when making a point using humour. But to be on the safe side avoid using it.

I don't mind the few occasions when I've been called a crip or cripple.
    After all I AM a cripple. I've had spastic, spaz, special, wheelie, Tiny Tim, look at her, check her, don't look, don't stare, dead legs, shorty, speedy. If you have a few come back clauses up your sleeve then it will give you confidence and will make light of the situation.

http://http://www.youreable.com/foru...-disabled-when
    The link does not work.

As an aside does anyone have any idea why the "You know you are disabled when....." thread was closed down?

It was a topic that could have run on and on with people adding to it all the time - so I'm puzzled as to why we can no longer do so?

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    The link does not work.
    If you look closely you can see that for some reason there are 2 http:// designators in there, so it will link to http.com and ignore the rest of the address.

Try this:
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...-disabled-when
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-02-16 at 16:04.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Cazachybones

You have had some good advice from good folk in this thread. Cripple is a term from the dark ages and not PC, it looks like the so called civilised world is going back down that route. I am not defending the NHS staff as the receptionest who spoke to you may have been a volenteer,bank nurse, agency nurse, but irrespective of that there is a clear need for training. Cast those feelings of hurt off, like water off a duck's back, feel sorry for that person as they carry the heavy burdon of ignorance.

Buster hope you enjoyed the soccer match, my family took Mr & Mrs D out to Sunday dinner (my wife exercises my pocket book so well I don't have to go to the gym to work a sweat up)

Jack J
    Last edited by Jack Minter; 15-02-16 at 14:26.

Thanks I've fixed it now.
    OK, but do you have any idea why that thread, which was popular and could have been added to as time went on, is now shut down?

I worked in a petrol booth, but we only had one serving before ten am. A customer who used a wheelchair was really nasty to us and would come for fuel at eight am, knowing I couldn't get out and put the pump in her car. It was a safety rule, but also very awkward. You had to lock both, leave nozzle hanging from car, go back and release pump then lock booth and go back and fill up..but I also have congenital hip disease, arthritis and I'm asthmatic. And at the time was awaiting a hip replacement. I was in a lock of pain, and pain killers. I offered to call for assistance and she refused. But called a relative, who screamed abuse at me. I was called a fat, lazy, greasy dirty bastard... And yet, even in tears, I still served them. ... She also called a colleague ignorant because she was new and instead of pressing the disabled button the customer just flashed a light, and she never knew assistance was needed.