Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DWP confusion (Left hand does not know what right hand is doing? ) them not me !

DWP confusion (Left hand does not know what right hand is doing? ) them not me !

Hi all.
    Last week (Thursday) I took a call from a lady at DWP saying she was returning my call as I had asked for a call back that morning they said up to 5 days for a call back and as been waiting 16 weeks for a desicion I said ok . This lady I have her name She said I would get a letter in the next few days as they had recieved the repeat request informaation from Atos (First week of December I had Atos assesment) She said I was awarded mobility rate standard I had 10 points.
    Enhanced daily living I think she said I had 16 points. ( I have memory problems).And I would get the letter explaining everything my middle of next week.
    On Monday this week I got a call from DWP saying we are returning your call we will reach a desicion in the next few days.I said I was told on Thursday the above,She said oh ok let me look at another screen a few minutes later she said yes that is right you will hear this week. This afternoon I get a call from a very aloof case handler asking me when I started to get a change in my circumstances so I told him.I also told him the above he said rather aloofly he makes the desicion and I will hear about the desicion in 7 to 10 days. I said hang on please why was I told I was awarded the above he repeated it is down to him they only recommend I said who was she to tell me it had been finalised ? he said he did not know and I would hear in 7 to 10 days and put the phone down.
    TOTALLY confused and upset. Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen ? I called them back after a few hours and asked for a manager could call me back to discuss my concerns.

Hi Cazachybones

Wow....amazing

Ok so some advice when using the phone in regard to benefits.
    ALWAYS ALWAYS have a pen and paper handy when you speak to ABSOLUTELY ANYONE regarding anything to do with the benefits system

Always ask for the person's name and make them repeat their name slowly and spell it out if any confusion
    Always note down the exact time and date you make or receive the call
    Always ask for the location they are speaking from eg which contact centre or which department of DWP or which assessment centre etc
    keep all this info in a safe place like a diary or calendar or special file
    These phone calls are recorded I believe and notes have to be written about the call every time they call you
    When you speak to this manager tell them the time and dates you spoke to these other people.
    Then if this doesn't come out with the result you were told write a complaint with as much info as you can remember regarding these calls but always in future keep meticulous times and dates etc then tell them to listen to the recorded calls
    Let us know how you get on

Thanks I amwaiting for a call back tomorrow now.I will let you know.Doesn't look promising though ..

Well today the same aloof person called me back and said no one shoud have told me about the decision and I would hear in 7 10 days I asked if I can make a complaint he said yes he would start that and said 'bye' put phone down.Where do I go now ?

Personally, I would go straight to your MP

Quote Originally Posted by Cazachybones View Post
    Well today the same aloof person called me back and said no one shoud have told me about the decision and I would hear in 7 10 days I asked if I can make a complaint he said yes he would start that and said 'bye' put phone down.Where do I go now ?
    If you don't have any actual proof, of what these people said and who they said they were, I (personally) wouldn't waste my time, as you don't have a decision until you have a decision notice/letter.

The calls are recorded and I will be taking it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazachybones View Post
    The calls are recorded and I will be taking it further.
    I'm with you on that one

You'd be surprised how seriously they take complaints and if this bloke is being so offensive with you then heads should roll

But yes also send a copy to your MP and yes calls are recorded

You do need the day and approximate time you spoke to these people. They will have made written notes too if they contacted you....should be found by your NI number

Hi Patsy,I have emailed my MP with all details and will call later this morning if not heard about asking to lodge a complaint.I have a list now of times and one name of the caller last week.So fingers crossed.I will let you know.

Sounds like you might have been told what the Atos report "recommended", rather than what the DWP DM has decided. If its different, then request a copy of the Atos report.