Thread: Open letter to IDS about ESA cuts

Open letter to IDS about ESA cuts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35384506
    http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-23/b...-to-find-work/

Although this is being reported in quite a few newspapers as well as the BBC and ITV, finding the letter itself is not easy.
    (I only found it once in 30 or so articles).

So here, from the Daily Mirror, is a copy of the text:

“Dear Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.

We believe the Government’s proposed cut to Employment and Support Allowance will undermine the commitment to halve the disability employment gap, and push sick and disabled people further away from work and closer to poverty.

The Government are committed to protecting disability benefits, but instead are pushing through a cut of £30 a week to new claimants in the work-related activity group of ESA.

These are sick and disabled people who have been found currently unable to work.

The Government say this £30 disincentivises sick and disabled people from finding work but it has so far offered no evidence for this claim.

In fact, a recent independent review showed the opposite is true – that this cut will make it harder for disabled people to find work.

Almost 70 per cent of sick and disabled people we surveyed say this cut to ESA would cause their health to suffer and just under half said they would not be able to return to work so quickly.

We call on the Government to listen to the damaging effect this will have on the lives of sick and disabled people and immediately halt this cut.”
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Would be nice if he took notice, but I can't see it. He seems to detest people who are ill or disabled and if he could get away with it, I bet he'd get rid of ESA altogether and make everyone claim JSA regardless of their health and wellbeing - just imagine how much he'd save when even more people start dying!

The mans a numptey and I for 1 who'd be quite happy if he disappeared off the face of the earth.

Me too, whenever I see IDS, Cameron or Osborne on the news I just want to slap that smug look off their faces. IDS should be made to take his family and spend a few years living in an overcrowded, run-down private rented property where the housing benefit doesn't cover the full rent, let him manage on the pittance he deems we should be able to live on and be subjected to his own department's inhumane treatment of JSA/ESA claimants, regular interrogations, sanctions and ridiculous mickey mouse "training" programmes. See how he likes it when he has to make the £30 he claimed in expenses for one meal stretch to feed his entire family for a week!!

Well the House of Lords have put a block on this particular cut for now, see this thread:

http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...9559#post99559

Still remains to see if the Commons push it through next year, without agreement from the Lords.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Can anyone remember when IDS had took on that challenge to live in poor housing accommodation for TV, he had to live with a tenant and see how that person coped with living in such conditions, typically he only lasted 24 hours and failed his one week stay lol, many viewers didn't believe his excuse on why he couldn't continue with the challenge it seemed really staged.

posted in wrong thread