Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a mobility car????

Buying a mobility car????

Hi i was after a bit of information i have heard you can buy a mobility car could any body tell me a bit more about this i.e do you have to have a certain amount of years left on your award letter,who do you talk to about choosing this way etc.... Thank you for any infomation left

I believe that you can enquire towards the end of your 3 year contract although it also depends on the make. I was going to buy mine a couple of cars ago but in the end I couldn't afford it.
    If you phone Motability they will explain any current arrangements.

The problem with buying the car at the end of the lease, is that Motability offer you a higher price then it woud have sold at an auction. it just isnt worth it. You are better to actually go to one of the auctions and by a ex-motabiity car there.

That's really bad new, we wanted to buy our Vauxhall Insignia 2.0cdti Auto was hoping to get it at a good price but looks like that won't happen. Has anyone every heard of getting a good price form Motability? With these changes having a Motability will be useless as my daughter wonlt be able to drive it as she lives more than 5 miles away.

I seem to heard somewhere that you can pay over 5 years to purchase the car but you do not get insurance and thats another way to buy the car??? i may be wrong.I have to put a down payment on a nissan qashqai,so was just wondering how you could buy the car maybe there is more than one way to do this

I always buy ex mobility cars, my present one was purchased with 10,500 miles and regular serviced and like new, 4 years later still with the same car, I do have insurance to pay and servicing which totals £520 per annum. You can purchase a car over 5 years through motobility on their hire purchase scheme however as stated before you do need to pay your own servicing and insurance costs. I think if I wanted a new car I would look at the 3 year lease then when that was near to the end, ask for that to be extended by 2 years, and then if you are still happy with the car ask to buy it..

Quote Originally Posted by redrobblue View Post
    I always buy ex mobility cars, my present one was purchased with 10,500 miles and regular serviced and like new, 4 years later still with the same car, I do have insurance to pay and servicing which totals £520 per annum. You can purchase a car over 5 years through motobility on their hire purchase scheme however as stated before you do need to pay your own servicing and insurance costs. I think if I wanted a new car I would look at the 3 year lease then when that was near to the end, ask for that to be extended by 2 years, and then if you are still happy with the car ask to buy it..
    But did you buy direct from Motability or Auction? The hire purchase is basically a loan from Motability, not sure what their rates are. I've heard that motability charge a premium of 5% over book value which seems a little unfair. Only thing going for the Insignia is they drop in value a lot, with all these changes quite a lot of people will be giving up their cars and maybe they will review their resell policy, hopefully making it cheaper.

buying a motability lease hire car at the end of the lease

Quote Originally Posted by Glover1862 View Post
    But did you buy direct from Motability or Auction? The hire purchase is basically a loan from Motability, not sure what their rates are. I've heard that motability charge a premium of 5% over book value which seems a little unfair. Only thing going for the Insignia is they drop in value a lot, with all these changes quite a lot of people will be giving up their cars and maybe they will review their resell policy, hopefully making it cheaper.
    I'm very happy with my present motability lease hire car. Before the 3 years were up I asked if I could either buy the car off them or extend the lease. As my mileage was low they said I could extend the lease another two years - I took that option. Good job as a major thing went wrong with the engine and motability repaired it free of charge to me otherwise it would have cost me £800 to repair if I'd owned it!

However, I will buy the car off motabilty after five years but will have to pay for insurance, servicing, repairs, AA and take the hit for depreciation too. I plan to buy the car from motability. They will send me a fixed quote of the cars value based on age, mileage and condition. As they are a not-for-profit organisation they won't be adding on a 'handling charge'. It'll be at least a £1000 less than a garage forecourt price and I'll know it's servicing history.

Shop around online for a loan - you don't have to use motability to fund the loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    As they are a not-for-profit organisation they won't be adding on a 'handling charge'. It'll be at least a £1000 less than a garage forecourt price and I'll know it's servicing history.

Shop around online for a loan - you don't have to use motability to fund the loan.
    I hope you are right but having done a little research Motability seem to charge a premium for their cars not a discount, it's fairly common for most lease companies to operate like this. Someone best described it as paying the "buy it now" price on ebay which is normally more than if the auction runs it cause. I've been advised by our current dealer that it will more than likely to be cheaper if we follow the car to auction than buy from Motability, have Motability told you that it will be at least £1000 cheaper retail or did you get the information from someone who has done it?

I believe Motability will give an additional years warranty, however I’m not 100% certain, seems a lot of conflicting information regarding this, perhaps someone who has enquired about buying could comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Glover1862 View Post
    I bought my Vauxhall from a Vauxhall dealer but any dealer can get you any ex-mobility car and would be upto you to negotiate a good price. I have only bought once from an auction and that was enough for me!! If you put into Google a search I am sure there would be a dealer or trader that would help or advise, the only downside to buying this way is that altthough you get all the stats like mileage, colour, etc you do not see the actual car, then again if buying new you don't. With regards to hie purchase give Motability a call.