Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Allium Giganteum - grow4ing in December!

Was with you till "photo manipulation software". Like I said, will wait for more experienced nerds than I.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Was with you till "photo manipulation software". Like I said, will wait for more experienced nerds than I.
    If anyone wants a programme that will view images in most formats, resize (make the fie size smaller so it can be uploaded to forums), crop the image, add special effects, etc., etc. but does not want to spend a fortune on photoshop or similar.

Then could I suggest that you get this FREE image viewer / manipulator.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

I and many others have been using it for years; it does most things that a home user would want to do (and much more).

Obviously it's not going to compete with the high end professional programmes, but for home use you don't need the features of those.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

DSC_0052.jpgDSC_0054.jpgDSC_0057.jpg all it took, in the end was a skype chat with my son and "share screen" and him to talk me thru it....

As I said some of my many containers and solutions to the "can't bend down safely" problem...(and the strawb have since ripened!!!)

Bloomin' gorgeous!

I need help! My cone shaped Lupin flowers look great but the leaves look in a terrible state - wilting. Another younger Lupin has no flowers but the leaves are healthy - very odd!

I'm wondering if they are are a shade plant as where it's planted happens to be sunny for most of the day.

I think the Alliums have peaked! The flower heads are grapefruit size - very impressive!

I've now got poppies springing up.

Not had a lot of experience with Lupins.. They do use them as 'green manure' as they enable nitrogen fixing.

Seems they also don't like soil too soggy and prefer it a bit acid..

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...o-grow-lupins/

So basically lupins = good, even if they look wierd, cuz they fix nitrogen and poppies = good, NOT a weed , wildflower and bee/butterfly attractant.
    Went to plant sale yesterday and son has helped me plant the 2 raspberry plants..

Well the Lupin flowers certainly attract the bees which is good.

I keep thinking that the Allium flowers have peaked but they keep expanding!

This gives you an idea of the flower head size in comparison to a 50p coin I'm holding.

Possibly why its called Allium giganteum, one of those lovely latin names that lives up to itself

Here's a few facts about the plant . . .

Allium giganteum, common name giant onion, is an Asian species of onion, native to central and southwestern Asia but cultivated in many countries as a flowering garden plant.[4][5] It is the tallest ornamental Allium in common cultivation, growing to 1.5 metres (4.9 ft).[6]
    In early to midsummer, small globes of intense purple umbels appear, followed by attractive fruiting umbels. A popular cultivar, 'Globemaster', is shorter (80 centimetres (31 in)) but produces much bigger, deep violet, umbels (15–20 centimetres (5.9–7.9 in)). Both varieties have been granted the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.[7][8][9]
    In nature, the species is found in Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.[3]

Well at least the thunderstorm and rain passing over will water the garden