Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Allium Giganteum - grow4ing in December!

A bit more colour in the garden

Shrub-one.jpg

Shrub-two.jpg

Shrub-3--April.jpg

We're now onto 25 April. Temperatures at night can still get down to just 2 or 3C.

The Allium have now produced a central stem with a potential single flower 'pod'

Allium-with-stem.jpg

The tulip flowers are emerging as a dark purple!

Tulips-late-April.jpg
    Attached Images

Temperature of 2 or 3 is warm to what we have had. White over most mornings and snow today. Greenhouse heater has been on for well over a week now.
    My tulips are a deep purple too.

It's been a hot sunny day here in Manchester but by Saturday morning we're back to low single figures!

The Allium flower stems are now about ,2 feet tall but yet to flower.
    Other shrubs are beginning throw out buds too!

Well, the tulips and Hyacinths are well past their prime and all petals have floated down and melted into the earth.

31 May 2016
    The Allium flowers have burst into the warm Manchester sky and my newly acquired Lupin flowers are changing from green to red.

The beginning of June is hours away - what's sprouting near to you!

Here's how things are looking in my small border.

Lupins.jpg

Allium gigantus.jpg
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 31-05-16 at 20:59.

I have loads of bedding plants in the greenhouse that I have cultivated myself. Just waiting for the daff, tulip and hyacinth leaves to die off so they can be removed before I start hardening the bedding plants off ready to plant in the border between the summer flowering bulbs that are just about showing their heads.
    I have also got in the greenhouse a few tomato plants, cucumbers, sweet peppers and chilli peppers that all seem to be flourishing. Whether or not they will bear fruit remains to be seen.
    I am really quite proud of myself as it is my first bash at proper gardening in all these years.

I have "solved" (well a case of necessity) the problem of "cant bend or dig w.o. falling over" by using containers and raising the beds.
    I try not to go mad buying plants cuz that just leads to "where to put em" and can i actually look after it? I have no outside tap, so all those containers need watering...I'll post some piccies when I've sorted the best!

I also can't bend because of falling over. I have raised borders and lots of tall tubs. In the greenhouse everything is on tall racking leaving the bottom shelves empty. It is still a struggle but I manage. I have a narrow watering can that fits in my walker bag so I can transport it and use walls and fences to hold onto when using it. My one hanging basket has a lowering strap.
    To water the borders I have one of those curly hoses that I can hold along with my frame handle, I then hold onto the border edges and use it with the other hand.
    I also get tempted to buy extra plants and have the same problem as to where to plant them, prudence has to reign as I have lots of plugs in the greenhouse.

Well my uploads are failing so y'all will have to wait for my tech whizzo to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Well my uploads are failing so y'all will have to wait for my tech whizzo to visit.
    Hi Reddivine, regarding photos to display here on this thread.

First of all any photos you take on your mobile will be too large to upload.

If you have any photo manipulation software you need to ...

1 Resize the photo from say 2MB to 500K

2 Keep the resolution at 72dpi

3 I tend to change the dimensions from millimetres to inches in the re-size dialogue box then change the width to five inches - the depth will adjust automatically.

4 You can also use the crop tool9 9to cut away bit you don't want.

5 Uner 'filter' you might have a pull down that says 'sharpen' - inside that box may be an option called 'unsharp mask' that's the filter I use to 'crispen' the image.

6 Save the photo in a folder on your hard drive. NOTE If y8our software has an option called 'save for web' under the word 'file' at the top - so much the better. Your original photo is made of 1000s of colours but your computer can only show 72 colours on your monitor.

Now the photo is ready to import

7 Click on the third icon from the right which you can see about the new message box - the one shaped like a square coloured light green. Then choose the jpeg photo and insert it into your message.
    The image appears below your text - double click on the imported image and tick the box that says 'large'

Once admin approve the photo your message with photos will appear!

It only sounds difficult but once you've followed the instructions a few times it gets easier.

If you need software try out Adobe Photoshop Elements - used by many keen photographers.

Good luck.