Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allium Giganteum - grow4ing in December!

Allium Giganteum - grow4ing in December!

I have a gardening problem.

I visited a flower show back in September and bought four giant bulbs the size of onions.

The bulbs were planted in early November to a depth of about 6 inches deep so the frost couldn't touch them.

The trouble being we haven't really had many cold nights or frost and the bulbs have been fooled into thinking it's spring or summer.

They've pushed out new growth to about 6 inches above the earth. They are bred to grow 4 or 5 feet tall.

What will happen when the cold weather does arrive - will this 'sprouting' cause problems later next year when they were due to grow.

Anxious

http://www.angliabulbs.com/allium-giganteum/details/

I don't know about that bulb in particular but usually they just go into a period of dormancy when it turns colder. Recent winters have been mild (early on especially) so lots of bulbs come up early but they tend to survive. I have lots of shoots coming up and currently have an iris in full flower and some daffs almost in bud.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You could always try growing some backups from seed (about a fiver). You might well have paid over the odds at a flower show.

If there IS risk of a harsh frost a good layer of light fleece should give protection.

Also they are Frost Hardy, so unless the ground is soggy, or its very below zero they should just 'slow down'

http://www.angliabulbs.com/allium-giganteum/details/

Frost will most likely kill the plant if left outside. It will only survive outside in a Greenhouse if there is heating.

If you want it to stay alive I would suggest getting one of those big plastic containers (60cm x 90cm) and filling it with half compost, half manure, rock dust and cover with short cut straw mulch. Then stick it on a table to your south facing window.

This is going to the extremes but I assure you all vegetable show gardeners do this. I've even known people to feed their plants concentrated fertilizer x10 powerful than compost tea.

Thanks for all your advice. I think my problem now is that although I like garden foliage and flowers I can no longer service plants that are at ground level due to impairments.

aAI don't mind spending money on gardening stuff it's just too hazardous for me to dig and plant due to balance issues and a wonky left side.

The bulbs shoots look strong and healthy but we've had no frost to date. As it happens the temperature will dip to -1C tomorrow night - that's Thursday. The bulbs are situated in well drained crumbly soil and in a sunny area. They were planted with a sprinkling of plant feed to establish them. I just didn't expect any growth until about May!

I don't have a greenhouse or anything fancy to cover them - as has been said they are frost resistant but I don't think the fleshy stems and leaves can be expected to survive a prolonged cold spell.

I'll try to take a photo to show you before they wither!

and how is your bulbs looking now!?

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    and how is your bulbs looking now!?
    I've had daffodils and snow drops that looked good. Several purple hyacinths foweredand are now on their way out.

Tulips have grown and are days away from flowering.

The six Allium bulbs all survived and have thrown out big fleshy long leaves. Each bulb has shown out leaves that cover an area about 12 inches square. The stalk and tennis ball sized flower have yet to arrive.

I've also got a giant magnolia shrub 12 feet tall that's full of white flowers.

Spring is a great time - I love the colours. My favourite Japanese Maple is just beginning to sprout those red leaves - given another month and it'll look magnificent.

I've also got a fuchsia that is showing signs of waking up. And I've got a few pots of Lupins on the kitchen window4 cill waiting to be planted in the next week or two.

How are your bulbs doing.

So here's a few photos of plants in my garden at the moment.

Tulips, part of my front garden, Allium bulbs have sprouted - these are part pf the onion family - the bulbs are as big as a red onion!

Tulips.jpg

front-garden.jpg

Allium---April.jpg

Looking good I think I have some Allium ginganticum seed somewhere.

So much to do, so much to grow. And frost tonight in places

I have got seedlings in the greenhouse. Set them off late and haven't had to use the greenhouse heater until last night. On again tonight and will be on for the next few nights as very low temperatures are forecast. Planted my summer flowering bulbs a couple of weeks ago, hoping they come up and will put the bedding plants in between them all being well.
    Planted some cucumber and pepper seeds and have some black opal tomato plants on order. Thought I would try them as we haven't had any home grown toms for the last 3 or 4 years. Hubby gave up on them after a couple of very poor crops.
    In spite of being a complete novice I don't think I am doing too bad. Surprised me anything has actually come up as I am not known for having green fingers.