Thread: Quickie salsa m

Quickie salsa m

Hi,
    I'm getting a salsa m powerchair in January as I'm told its more suitable for outdoor than my current days seren chair,I'm told it can be set to 4mph or 6mph,does anyone know how to do this as I'm getting it through the wheelchair service so will possibly come set at 4mph,as I live on a hill and have to cross a busy road I'd rather have the extra speed,
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Cheers
    Andy

I think the Wheelchair Service Engieer will set it up to run at 4mph and add a 'limiter' to prevent you from going faster.

You should only be going 4mph on pavements or around people.

Ask the engineer who delivers it if he will adjust the speed - he can only say no.

I should think this is great for outdoors. The turning circle is about 48 inches so I hope you have space at home - mine hybrid motorised wheelchair is about 36 inches.

Good choice all the same

http://www.quickiepower.com/index.asp?locale=en_GB

Super Moderator
    We do not have all the technical details for this product but you can contact suppliers for more information, see report below.

http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/report_it...dcd84533f&view

DlfTeam

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Looks like you have to be a paid subscriber to view this?
    Which bit?
    The weblink came up fine for me.

Maybe the DLFteam had moderated themselves? ROFL.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Ah, I see what you mean.

That link gives info on that particular chair, but if you want to see info on anything else on there then you need a subscription and its not cheap.

There is however a related website, where you can get product info without the subscription.
    http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/
    EDIT-
    (Ha, Ha, Ha, Just noticed that the big advert style link button at the bottom of every page here goes to that site).
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-12-15 at 16:19.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Andy,

If the NHS are supplying the chair then it is highly likely the limit will be set to 4 mph. As far as I'm aware the NHS will only supply Type 2 chairs which are limited to pavement use only. The maximum speed of a chair on the pavement is 4 mph.

Type 3 chairs, which can be used on the road, can have a maximum speed of 8 mph but require items including lights, indicators, etc and have to be registered.

I'm currently testing a Handicare Puma 40 Pro Line, having tested a standard Puma 40. It'll do 8 mph, against the others 6 mph.

I currently have on loan a Salsa M from the NHS but really want (and require) a front drive chair. It's much better for the office environment and much better off-road. I find the central drive models are akin to being on a seesaw, especially when navigating ramps on trains etc
    Last edited by vantage; 22-12-15 at 21:20.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Vantage you are indeed correct with the class 2. Also Nhs are working to a budget and will provide very basic mobility only.
    I'm now in a situation that I require to purchase a class 3 chair to meet my requirements. My Nhs chair is basic but I have to keep it for another 3 years before I'm due for a replacement.
    Hi RaspberryRipple, my old chair was a NHS supplied one and was rather good. However, after over 7 years of service it completely died. So having gone through a new assessment they loaded me a Salsa M whilst obtaining quotes on a front drive chair.

Unfortunately they will no longer supply a front drive chair so I'm now looking to use the voucher scheme and get a Puma 40. The voucher will be around £3,500. I'll be approaching Access to Work for additional funding.

I hope you can get what you need.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I'm now looking to use the voucher scheme and get a Puma 40. The voucher will be around £3,500. I'll be approaching Access to Work for additional funding.
    A few things you might need to take into account if you self-purchase.

The wheelchair voucher scheme
    - is a postcode lottery. My wheelchair service only offer £450 towards a manual wheelchair - they offer nothing for an electric wheelchair/scooter.
    - you have to pay for your own servicing
    - you have to pay for your own insurance
    - if your wheelchair breaks down or goes in for repair there's no replacement
    - you have to keep it for 5 years

Access to Work

You're likely to get a custom made electric wheelchair funded by the Government especially if you're already driving a Motability car. Just say you'll give them a few hundred pounds towards it - that's all they'll expect.

NOTE They will be targetting this department re cutbacks so I'd get in quick if I were you!!

Thanks LT, my local wheelchair service will offer circa £3,500 as that is what it would cost them to supply a powerchair. They will also offer a contribution to service costs. Keeping it for 5 years isn't an issue as my last chair lasted over 7, not bad considering the mileage I put on it.

I've already spoken to ATW, just awaiting the final quote. A motability vehicle won't make a difference, you don't need to be on the Motability scheme. I already benefit from ATW and haven't been on the scheme for years, having decided to purchase privately.

Do they still run the voucher scheme in England? It sounds like a sensible idea.
    Here in Scotland this hasn't ever been an option.
    Yes they do. It's the way forward for me, although it may not suit everyone. I'll have to organise maintenance, insurance etc. But to get a more suitable chair it'll be worth it.