Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here lives in shltered housing and gets pip?

Anyone here lives in sheltered housing and gets pip?

After recently transferring from DLA to PIP I received my Pip Award letter confirming I had been awarded PIP at the standard rate of £55.10 per week. The date PIP started was 18/11/15. My last DLA payment was put in my bank on 17/11/15, so I assumed I would receive my first PIP payment on or around 16/12/15.

After checking my bank account for the last few days, no payments had gone in, so I decided to call the PIP enquiry line to try and find out what was happening. To my surprise I was told that a payment of 3 weeks PIP had been made on the 10/12/15, but due to a concern that I might be living in funded accommodation(I have actually lived in sheltered accommodation independent living for the last 4 and a half years, for which I pay rent & council tax, but do receive some housing benefit), it had been stopped.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone on these forums currently lives in sheltered housing and actually gets pip payments, specifically the daily living component?
    Last edited by HowardHopkinson; 21-12-15 at 01:32.

I worked as a warden in a council-run sheltered housing complex for many years and a lot of the residents did get Attendance Allowance, DLA or PIP and many also got housing benefit and other means tested benefits. It sounds like they may be getting confused between sheltered housing and a care home where someone receives full time care, where the rules are different. Presumably you're living in your own flat or bungalow in a sheltered scheme where you live independently with your own kitchen/bathroom etc, in which case there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't get PIP.

Thanks for your reply Caley, it really is very much appreciated.

Yes I live in my own flat with it's own bathroom, kitchen and bedroom etc. I receive no special care whatsoever, the only thing I have is a red pull cord in every room. The rent I pay includes a service charge for things such as gas(heating is run from a central boiler), the use of an on site laundry(the flats aren't large enough to accommodate a washing machine) and water rates and TV licence. The scheme has a warden, actually called an HSO(housing support officer) who is on site Monday to Friday between the hours of 8.30am to 5pm. The HSO is not here at weekends or bank holidays etc. However, the call system(red pull cords) are run by a company called Tunstall Healthcare (UK) limited, I don't know if you've heard of them?

I agree with your assessment, that My home shouldn't stop me from receiving PIP payments, but it would seem that some DWP staff are confused by the term sheltered housing. The DWP staff were well aware of my housing circumstances long before they awarded me PIP.

As nothing has gone into my bank since I called on Thursday, it looks like another phone call to the PIP enquiry line first thing in the morning(21/12/15) will be needed.

The worrying thing is with Christmas just around the corner, I fear this may not be sorted out in time, which will somewhat ruin my Christmas. The bills will still keep coming and without my PIP I'm going to struggle.

The other thing I must mention is, at no time has anyone from the DWP seen fit to contact me regarding this matter, even though they are well aware of my contact details. This more than anything else is what has upset and angered me the most.

I will keep this thread updated in order to try and assist others in my predicament.
    Last edited by HowardHopkinson; 21-12-15 at 05:45.

Caley is quite right, the fact your in sheltered accom should not affect it in the slightest! I mean how the hell they expect you to LIVE in whatever accomodation? Keep badgering em.

I spoke to a very polite and helpful gentleman this morning and he said he agrees that where I live shouldn't affect PIP payments. He also agreed that the DWP should have contacted me as soon as there was a problem.

He has arranged for someone from the benefits section to call me on my mobile phone within the next 3 hours or so. Hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted out today and I'll receive my PIP payment this week.

Again I will update this thread as soon as I know anything more.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, it's very much appreciated.

Yes it sounds exactly like the sheltered complex I worked at, with all residents having their own flats with the alarm system (provided by Tunstall) and communal facilities with the same kind of district heating system, so there's no way it should affect you getting PIP as you're not in full time residential care, which it sounds like they're wrongly assuming. Many of my residents got PIP, DLA and AA with no problem and I think another call to DWP is in order to explain your situation, and if you can get your warden to speak to them or get a letter from your housing provider to prove your living situation that may help. I hope you get it sorted out soon - claiming benefits is stressful enough without them getting things wrong and making things worse.
    Last edited by Caley; 21-12-15 at 13:05.

Thanks for your reply Caley. I agree it should be pretty straight forward, but I have a bad feeling it won't be.

Well, it's now 5:20 pm and no one has called me as promised. Guess it'll be up to me to call them again in the morning.

Not happy at all.

I received a call from the DWP this morning and the lady told me that they had made a mistake in thinking I was in funded housing and that they would now issue a payment, but that she couldn't say for sure whether I would receive it before Xmas. She also gave me the date and amount of my next payment.

Hopefully, that'll be an end to the matter. If not, I will update this thread accordingly.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I wish you all a very merry Xmas and a happy new year.

That's good news, hope you get it soon and have a good Christmas.

Just to let everyone know, I just got my first PIP payment dated 31/12/15 for £177.17. My next payment of £220.40 will be paid on or around the 7/1/2016.