Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my travel dilema

my travel dilema

Hi
    I have a dilema and cant believe its that expensive to travel.

I want to travel,i am a wheelchair user who only needs help with cooking .

i do want a group or a carer/friend to go with.
    i have one friend who i can ask but my care agency has carers with families or carers who i dont get on with.at the moment i go to the calvert trust on my own but im getting bored of it.Does anyone know of any groups or agencies i can go with?

also I cannot believe that i will have to pay for my holiday and care(which i dont need too much care!) and pay for the carers holiday too?is that the case?

thanks for your help

The thing is ellie, you can't expect a carer to pay for a holiday they don't want to go on, thats obviously not fair. Do you really need a carer to go with you, if you stay in a hotel ?

Sorry, thats probably not what you want to hear.

I assume you use an agency and not PAs, this option makes life a lot easier and PAs may be happier to pay for themselves as they are getting a "free" holiday, whereas agencies of course have to charge.

I stopped using an agency about 2 years ago. I haven't had a holiday as such with my PAs but I have stayed in Premier Inns etc. where they charge just for the room.

If you use the agency can you not choose which carer you go with. Surely, their family would not be able to go because of confidentiality.

What about The Manor House Hotel in Devon http://www.manorhousehotel.co.uk

Good luck, I know its not easy

Just another thought, have you asked Dept of Adult Social Care for respite then you wouldn't have to pay for yourself, but then could pay for your carer

Andy,

its an expensive business but im going to mgo for it, i have to pay it seems inorder nfor me to do a holidayh that i want. Do you know of any travelbuddy sites or organisations?
    thanks for the link btw ill baer it in moind

Hi Ellie
    Good on you for going for it. I am sorry I don't know of any travel buddy sites or organisations. If you like I can take a look on line for you. I dont mind having a search around, if you aren't up to that, but I don't know of any that I could personally recommend.

Have you thought about putting an advert on sites like this for someone to travel with, I have never done it so wouldn't like to say how safe it is, but it is an option.

alteredoutlook
    Have a look a the Bendrigg Trust, they have introduced some new holidays/courses for individuals this year.

www.bendrigg.org.uk

Account removed
    http://www.vitalise.org.uk/centre_br...FQEKfAodwiuPfA

http://www.disabledholidaydirectory.co.uk/

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...eUk/DG_4015876

I do not know what they are like I just googled holidays for the disabled, the www.direct.gov will tell you about extra funding money and cost and equaipment you can get.

I do not know what they are like I've never had a holiday.

I'm like Andy I just book into Travel Lodges or a Premier Inn. You can get some good deals if you book well in advance. I'm visiting Oxford next week for a few nights to catch some of the Jazz Festival and sights. The accessible rooms are quiet good - I take breakfast with me but eat in the adjoining eatery. You pay per room not per person. I'll be going on my todd so it'll be a bit of an adventure.

ooo can I come too lol ?

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    ooo can I come too lol ?
    Now there's no need to play hard to get. Yes by all means join me, that would be delightful. Just need to figure how to get you to my neck of the woods first - just get the train to Victoria Station and I'll pick you up there about 9.30 - 10ish

Well that's settled . . . it's a nice thought.

I was just double checking the Travelodge and it even has a waik-in shower!! I've checked out Oxford's Shopmobility and been able to book a scooter too. Well not much point me using a manual wheelchair on the streets as I've only one arm that's fully working. Going around in circles is not an option. The question is if I want to get off to visit a coffee bar etc what's the best way of attaching my elbow crutch to the scooter - any creative solutions welcome.

Just pray that the weather holds out.

Oxford - here we come

Well I'll be off to Oxford in the morning - probably take three hours with a coffee break. Really impressed with the Tourist Information who have sent me guides on accessible routes, venues, toilets, town centre maps showing you where the blue badge parking areas are and no go zones for scooters/cars.

Seems like they must have a strong access group there as all the information has been compiled by disabled people. I wish my town did something similar.

Well it looks like it'll be a scorcher - no doubt I'll suffer from sun stroke if I'm outdoors too much!!

Better get sorted out I guess - I don't want to leave things to the last minute and end up putting my back out - that's happened before now.