Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting around a very large garden

Getting around a very large garden

I hope someone can help here - it is an equipment query rather than gardening.
    We have recently started renovating our totally neglected and also rather large garden (about 300 metres long and 100 wide) and whilst I can't do any of the heavy work, I do like supervising and pottering. When completed, the greenhouses etc will be toward the end of the garden.
    My issue is that I can't get out there very easily - at the moment I'm using the ride on mower which is difficult to start, noisy and not entirely stable. Eventually, we will have paths but they're not going to be the smoothest in the world due to cost issues, and the whole garden slopes upward enough to make getting my manual wheelchair to the end nigh on impossible even on a perfect surface - I'm not in the first flush of youth and I have one dodgy shoulder so even a mild slope is pretty much impossible for me.
    Any suggestions for suitable powered transport that isn't going to cost a fortune? In an ideal world it might also allow me to do a bit of hill walking or at least a bit of off-road, which was how we spent most of our holidays pre wheelchair, but that really would be a bonus.

If you want something that's stable, can be used outdoors but you can also transport to other locations on a budget - this might be the answer.

http://www.mobilityconnect.co.uk/pro...ride-go-go-lx/

If you are going to have paths made out of shingle manual wheelchairs find it difficult as the front wheel diameter and width are small.

Don't bother with a cheap 3 wheeler as they are a health hazard.

Like most things it will have it's limits. Best to hire one for a week to try it out. Have a look on e5bay too - you might pick up a bargain.

Super Moderator
    Rough terrain powered wheelchairs can be prohibitively expensive, but there are a couple here that are reasonable.

http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/report_it...b4078654b&view

You could ask suppliers about hire options.

Dlf team

If you want to get out and about TGA Mobility often promote their off road scooters on this forum, not exactly cheap though.

http://www.tgamobility.co.uk/
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Many thanks for all the replies and suggestions, hiring one for a trial sounds a brilliant idea which I wouldn't have thought of myself. I'll post back with my experiences in case it helps anyone else.

A large garden and disabilities. Hmmmm, the 2 do not co-exist very well. You may have to bite the bullet and PAY for professional help, at least to knock it into shape. You NEED to consider infrastructure of garden. PATHS - wide enough and flat enough for a wheelchair. Bark or gravel - no good for wheels. You need paving or compacted gravel or concrete.
    Off road wheelchairs do exist but they are NOT cheap.
    Seriously consider changing the garden to suit YOU and not the other way round.

Do the greenhouses HAVE to be at the end? Perhaps get a designer friend to have a loook and maybe suggest ways round you just havebet thought of?

Hubby bought me a fairly hefty 4 wheel scooter for Christmas which seems to be managing very well, though I wouldn't risk it if the grass gets very wet.
    The whole garden is being designed around my needs since it is one of the few outdoor things I can still enjoy relatively easily, but the greenhouses do have to go at the end. There's already a large, flat concrete base in very good condition with a low brick surround so if we didn't put a building on it, we'd probably have to dig it up instead.
    I had great fun over Christmas supervising the planting of a hedge right at the end of the garden, partly to block the view of a new build bungalow and partly to (eventually) discourage all the neighbourhood dogs from roaming at will. It's a very spiky hedge.

i'd say, pay for professional to put in suitable paths FIRST. The greenhouses and planting can be done gradually, bit by bit as money becomes available.
    After 10 year of looking at rocks at the end of my garden, i paid £400 and have 2 tons of rubble removed and they did a fantastic job of levelling, gravelling a patch of ground.
    As you have a LARGE area, and obvious disabilities, consider raised beds: I made (with help!) tyre towers. Easy solution, you can pick up used tyres FREE! I've grown maize, lillies, all kinds of flowers in them and you have the room to do a whole load.
    maizejune.jpg

Love this idea, I think it will work really well in my gravel garden as I was a bit at a loss for something to put plants in there. Thank you. I think some bronze fennel would work really well too.

I've had lillies in em, daisies, alliums, all sort. They're not looking at their best NOW, obviously.! The tyres were FREE , they been dumped locally - but scrapyards will have em. You do need a black membrane at the bottom (to stop the weeds) then gravel 0r rocks(drainage) and then a mix of potting compost/ home made. The black tyres heat the soil and keep the warmth IN - just remem.ber to water. AND I've found that the SLUGS are defeated by climbing rubber WIN WIN as far as I'm concerned
    IMG_20130808_183335.jpg