Thread: Governments second response to the independent review of PIP assessments

Governments second response to the independent review of PIP assessments

I've just recieved these from the UK Parliment Digest by email this morning.

I've not had time to read the full response yet, but thought others may be interested.

Summary of Government response

Full Government response
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-12-15 at 08:51.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Here is my quick summary of the agreed actions in this Government response.
    Some already implemented, some yet to come.

Section 1 - Introduction.
    Blurb

Section 2 - Improving the claimant experience.

New wording on DWP letters about transfering from DLA starting from January 2016.
    (ATOS letters also to be revised).

New wording of decision letters, and a “reason for decision tool” to help case managers write clearer decision letters.

Case Managers an HCPs(assessors) now have a 'better working relationship'. i.e. They are now allowed to talk to each other.

Seating arrangements at assessments to be 'flexible', so you dont have to sit across a desk from the assessor.

The DWP will send out more SMS text messages to let you know how your claim is progressing.

New wording of letters about reassessments (now called 'award reviews' instead of 'planned interventions').
    Testing of a shorter version of the PIP2 for reassessments, focusing on any changes from last assessment.

Testing of an on-line claims process, to run alongside the current telephone and paper process.
    (Supposed to be flexible and not just a 'tick the box' form).

Looking at ways of letting you track where a claim is up to online.

Testing of new questions when you make an initial claim.
    Testing of a new 'My PIP agreement' that says what they expect from you when making a claim.

Section 3 - Further evidence

New guidelines issued about how the HCP should introduce himself at the assessment and explain what the assessment is about.
    New guidlines about how they collect information from you during the assessment.

Considering whether to change the way additional medical evidence is gathered.

Section 4 - The effectiveness of the assessment.

Updated HCP guidance on how to assess the 'Planning and following journeys' descriptor.

Updated HCP guidance on 'Aids and appliances' what it means and how they affect the decision.

More monitoring to ensure decisions are 'consistent'.

It all sounds more human!

I'm not too sure.

There is not much of any real substance there.

A bit of re-wording of letters and guidance, a few vague promises, and some testing of things that may never get implemented.