Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended lease on WAV

Extended lease on WAV

Our WAV Mercedes van is coming up for 5 years old and got a call today to ask if we would like to extend the lease for another two years, this came as a bit of a suprize to me as it use to be only cars on the 3 years contract that got the option to extend.
    Seems Motability are tightening their belts and now offer and extension if under 25k miles and we have the option to maybe extend again in another two years.
    To my mind this makes great sense and good use of making the motability money pot go further, the only question asked was if the vehicle still meets our needs and I said it does so all sorted for another two years
    Motability vehicle history....
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift), 2018 Renault Master MWB (Braun taillift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

Makoes perfect sense to me as I bought my mobility car after an extended 5 year lease and 8 years later it still meets my access needs.

Cars or vans lifespan is a lot longer these days as they are better built.

- when you do eventually send your van back you get enhanced 'good condition' bonus.
    - they know you'll be changing from DLA to PIP in the next year or so - if you weren't awarded enhanced PIP you might want to buy the van off motability a lot cheaper
    - to extend the lease doesn't involve any upfront deposits.

Hope all works out for you.

I did read on their site that the good condition bonus goes up in value,so as its currently £450 for a WAV thats a very useful sum come end of the contract
    Think the cost of buying/maintaining/insuring would be too much for us, so we'll see if we get offered the second 2 years in 2017.
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift), 2018 Renault Master MWB (Braun taillift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

It seems a fine idea to consider a lease extension.

Just thought I add given what motability ops have made in the 237 quid a month which goes up every year for the 8 years etc you would think you would get more than 450 back or is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Darn. A lease extention is only an option if you have done under 25K.
    I will have done about 45-50K after 5 years.
    I would have liked to extend the lease but this doesn't look like an option to me.
    Remember rules are just guidelines. If you ask nicely Motability will offer an extension even if the mileage per year is over their threshold. You are a customer and the customer is always right. Motability wouldn't exhist but for you.

Last year I extended the 5 year lease on my vehicle for another two years after it had already done 50000 miles. No problems at all.

I think what helps with extending the lease is if the customer wants to keep the vehicle ...the gamble is then with motability if the vehicle will cost them more with insurance/tax and more concerning the maintenance cost than the DLA paid to them.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I think what helps with extending the lease is if the customer wants to keep the vehicle ...the gamble is then with motability if the vehicle will cost them more with insurance/tax and more concerning the maintenance cost than the DLA paid to them.
    When I bought the vehicle off Motability after 5 years they also gave me a one year Warrantee on parts and repairs.

So I guess there's nothing stopping them from taking out a Warrantee to protect themselves if they offer extended leases - they'll still be quids in!

Like so much in life it's a bot of a gamble.