Thread: advice required please

advice required please

hi everyone im hoping someone could give me some sort of advice my son of 21yrs has just been awarded pip just before going to tribunal he is also on esa support group.
    how do i stand with regards to carers as not sure what to do i myself i have been on assessment phase esa for 3 years i had my medical 4 weeks ago still waiting for the dreaded brown envelope and really dont know what to do for the best.
    any advice would be appreciated

Could you be more specific about what kind of advice you need about 'Carers'?

Are you referring to Carer's Allowance for yourself or someone else?

If it is for you could you please tell us what PP your son has been awarded and if the Carer's Allowance is for you, what ESA are you on? Contribution based or income based ESA?

hi sorry should of explained better :/ im unsure whether to claim carers allowance myself to care for my son hes been awarded enhanced personal care and basic mobility.
    ive been on income based esa assessment phase for the last 3 years awaiting wca which happened 4 weeks ago and still waiting on a decision.ive recently been asked for another sick note which ive sent to cover another 2 months if i come off esa i would lose 3 years worth of entitlement if im awarded if i dont get awarded do i appeal or do i try and get carers allowance :/ i hope this explains a little better
    Last edited by barmey30; 26-11-15 at 11:14.

Since your son is receiving the daily living award of PIP then you are eligible to claim Carer's Allowance now if you meet the qualifying conditions.

See here:

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-ad...rers-allowance

You can claim this if you are on income based ESA but CA is counted as income so will be deducted from your income based ESA. However, a carer's premium is then added so basically you would receive CA, income based ESA minus the amount of CA plus a Carer's premium (about £30 ish a week) - so you would be better off by the amount of the Carer's Premium.

I would claim CA now.

If you are found fit for work then you can appeal the ESA decision. Difficult to comment whether you do this as we don't know your circumstances.

If you decide not to appeal or appeal and it is turned down then you could claim Income support as you would be in receipt of CA. This gives you another option rather than claiming JSA. Again, like income based ESA the CA would be counted as income for the Income Support but you would still get a Carer's premium. Without the CA you would have to claim JSA if you were found fit for work.

So, in short, claim CA if you meet the criteria and then wait for your ESA decision and take advice from CAB or a welfare advisor if you are unsure what to do.

Hope I have explained it OK.

thanks pmlindyloo thats great i can claim carers while im still in assessment phase given me peace of mind for a minute

while im here ive been trying to research on google about who i can contact with regards to the unusual amount of time ive been in assessment phase but as far as i can read no one said they have waitied this long :/
    i was first signed off in july 12 provided sick notes ever since my 1st wca appointment was sent out for the 23rd december 14 but i couldnt attend as daughter was in labour (grandson born christmas day) follow up appointment book for approx 17th January 15 but broke down had to send in aa evidence which they accepted final one was on the 28th october 15 which i did attend but the fact i waiting 2 and half years for 1 appointment seems extreme :/

You can also claim carers allowance even if you are claiming esa its just when the esa will be worked out they might deducted the carers from the esa but will give you a premium because you a carer its difficult to explain let alone understand however i would advise this if you are awarded esa after the assessment phase and are put in the suport group do not switch to income suport as not only will you lose your esa you will lose the extra premium because youve been put into the support group hope this helps x good luck

In regards to waiting it can take this long but not to worry because if you are put into any of the groups you will receive backdated payment from the 14th week after the assessment phase in the group you are in good luck x