Thread: Moving in together and ESA

Moving in together and ESA

I am a very hard working mum of 3 , i work 35 hours a week , i get child tax credit for my youngest child and child benefit and part help with rent .
    My partner does not work and claims ESA, if he moved in with
    How would it affect us financially? X

If you move in together you will be treated as a couple.

What happens with his ESA depends on whether it is Contributions Based or Income Related.
    With a possible further difference if he is in Support Group or WRAG.

If his ESA is Income Related then as a couple your working more than 24 hours would be taken into account and payment would stop.

If his ESA is Contribution Based then it will continue to be paid as CB ESA is not dependent on a partners circumstances.

Hower; if his ESA is Contribution Based then there is a qualification to this:
    If he is in WRAG then CB ESA is only payable for 52 weeks, after that you have to claim IR ESA, which he could not get because of your working hours.
    If he is in Support Group then CB ESA is not subject to the 52 week limit and would continue to be paid.

Your CTC and CB should not be affected.
    I'm not sure about your HB, it may depend on your local council's rules and if you are in social housing or renting privately, but I believe that it should also stay the same.

To make a further check try putting your proposed arrangement into one, or both, of the benefit calculators you can find here:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You may also find it helpful to talk to CAB or a similar local organisation.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.