Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday - 27 November

Black Friday - 27 November

Well some shoppers will be queuing up outside the shops several hours before they open. Hot soup in one hand, gloves scarf and bobble hot complete with red runny nose. The shop doors open early and there's a stampede to get in and bag the bargain TV etc.

The question I have - is it really a bargain . . who benefits the most - shopkeeper or buyer?

Are shopkeepers just getting rid of loss-leaders, out of date products, emptying shelves to alllow room for new stuff.

Is it really a bargain if you don't really need it!

No it is not a bargain if you don't need it. I would never buy anything just because it is vastly reduced in price.
    The only winners are the retailers, they still make a profit. Nothing is reduced to such an extent that there is no profit.

To me it's a load of clap trap.There's a big difference between wanting and needing.If I don't need it I don't buy it whatever the price.

Rightly said. I never go to sales now as anything I really want is never in big Black Friday sales. It's only a bargain if you need if it and it's reduced!

As much as i think you shouldnt by something just because its on offer, if there is something you need, it may be the best time to buy it.

For example i really need a new house phone. Im going to need to replace it at some point soon due to difficulty hearing people on it. If i saw one on a great offer, id take the opportunity.

What i wouldnt do is buy a 60 inch curved TV because it has £200 off the price. As much as id love one, i dont need it.

People love bargains, but I never understood why somebody would buy something that wasn't planned or wasn't need just because it was on sale. What's that joke "but it was 50% offer so I just had to buy it".

When I was furnishing my house I use to wait until the, back then, significant new year sales to buy the pieces of furniture I wanted. I use to visit a really good store in the North West that had a proper sale, i.e. not just the old stock or a few items, but rather everything was on discount. Took a few years to get the things I wanted but it was worth it.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I have sometimes waited for 3 or 4 years to get what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay.
    I certainly wouldn't buy something just because it was vastly reduced.
    Watching something on Amazon at the moment. If the price drops to what I think is reasonable then I will try to get it. I already have one of these items but this is an upgraded model which will be much easier for me to use as I struggle with the one I have got. I will then attempt to sell my older one which is only a couple of years old.

no its not a bargain at all if you don't need it .reminds me of my dear uncle who used to frequent car boot sales etc and buy televisions for about a tennner.hed be so pleased with himself ,until I told him that he never actually used any of them .they simply cluttered up his house .he had two perfectly good televisions already.So really it was throwing money down the drain rather than getting a bargain .he said oh ! I hadn't thought of it like that .............

The item I was looking at on Amazon this morning didn't drop to a price I thought was reasonable so no go there.
    What did surprise me earlier in the week was that Amazon gave me a difference refund for something I had bought last week but the price dropped even more on Monday. It was automatic, I didn't even ask for the difference refund.

Put up prices the week before, pretend discounts on the sales. If you have something on a 'wish list' and it drops fine, if not don't bother.!