Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: University Inclusive Design Project

Chris,

Keep thinking and come back, I'll try to write a longer post about being a potential new designer.

Just for interest is this a first year project?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by cjoseuk View Post
    Really like the torch on a crutch to incorporate into the inclusive design it would need to be incorporated cheaply into the crutch seeming like its not there with battery compartment hidden away.
    Thanks again, i'm after as much as possible idea wise, more the merrier thanks
    Perhaps the battery and switch can be incorporated into the ergonomic grip - at the end of the handle. The switch must be flat and circular - the battery could sit behind it discretely hidden in the handle. WNwo 4wires - ne5e5ds wireless technology.

Alternatively it could be a self contained LED small bulb, battery and switch that wraps around the cylindrical shaft using velcro. Perhaps this lightweight 'add-on' could come in different colours acting as a 'fashion statement'. Comes in 'three fruity flavours and black'. lol

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Chris,

Keep thinking and come back, I'll try to write a longer post about being a potential new designer.

Just for interest is this a first year project?
    This is my second year, from the brief we have been given the idea itself is probably not as important as the process of getting there, that being said the lack of a good idea may cause problems when at comparisons to our original spec and have a lack of points to evaluate maybe. Will post some stuff as were going once finally chose a problem, there's three in the group so would make sense we each try to solve then pick the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Perhaps the battery and switch can be incorporated into the ergonomic grip - at the end of the handle. The switch must be flat and circular - the battery could sit behind it discretely hidden in the handle. WNwo 4wires - ne5e5ds wireless technology.

Alternatively it could be a self contained LED small bulb, battery and switch that wraps around the cylindrical shaft using velcro. Perhaps this lightweight 'add-on' could come in different colours acting as a 'fashion statement'. Comes in 'three fruity flavours and black'. lol
    Good ideas, just a quick search i got
    http://www.campingtourist.com/campin...king-products/
    number 9 about 3 quarters down. which is similar and could be adapted.
    think wireless could be over complicating it maybe unless i haven't quite got what you mean, as would just incorporate the switch and light into the handle its self.
    interesting discussion on it here
    http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Crutch_20Lights
    like the idea of Gimballing as the angle of the handle changes when in use. will run the idea past college's see what they think. May not quite be the road we go down with us being mechanically biased, another part of the project is around material choice and involves using a program called CES. Thanks for input again.

Talking of lights, yes I would like some clip on light that would fit on a wheelchair. Taking it out even in dusk feels very dodgy. You can't see the path and folks can't see YOU!

Again with window locks.....they are usually on double-glazed, UPVC frames and so unlikely to smashed easy. Taking them OUT and in a drawer some where then becomes a fire hazard. The safe exit suddenly becomes impossible to open. I'm leaving mine in the lock!!

It's funny as only an hour ago I was getting a 'house contents' quote from Dairect Line insurance. The first thing they want to establish is what type of door locks you have and do I have 'window locks'

I do have both but I never lock the double glazed windows as there's not much point. The outer glass window pane is either toughened or laminated. I have a few wide windows that have had a football kicked at them and the glass just wobbles.

You can break the glass into a million pieces but you have to know where to hit it and how hard.

Christmas is a time when thieves 'case joints' and target homes so be careful.

I run our NHW and the police advice is to always have your windows locked. If a window only opens or is left open enough for a head to get in then they can get in.
    Reminds me of the time a lad wasn't doing his homework when I worked in school. Turns out he was going out burgling with his dad. He went in through the windows and opened the doors.

Back to keeping windows locked and the key in the lock. I always take the keys out of the locks but on each window sill I have a small lidded box into which I put the key. Out of sight but easily got at by me if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    It's funny as only an hour ago I was getting a 'house contents' quote from Dairect Line insurance. The first thing they want to establish is what type of door locks you have and do I have 'window locks'

I do have both but I never lock the double glazed windows as there's not much point. The outer glass window pane is either toughened or laminated. I have a few wide windows that have had a football kicked at them and the glass just wobbles.

You can break the glass into a million pieces but you have to know where to hit it and how hard.

Christmas is a time when thieves 'case joints' and target homes so be careful.
    I think when i read in my home insurance terms it says the keys need to be out of sight from people looking in, on another not i noticed at the in laws that they have there key on a tiny suction cup with a hook on the window frame and from the outside you can't see it at all, seems sort of obvious now haha.

Break ins . . .

My parents house was safe and secure but some kids broke in by removing the entire kitchen window leaving brickwork surrounding a hole!

A neighbour saw the5 break in and called the police three times while they w4ere ransacking the house.

Four lads ended up coming out of the house carrying suitcases full of stolen goods and wandered off down the main road carrying the stuff. It just so happened that plain clothe poicemen were passing these lads and thought it suspicious. They pulled up confronted the lads who just dropped the lot and legged it through the back streets towards a railway line.

They were caught red handed by the police and pleaded not guilty. The stolen goods were seized as evidence and taken back to the police station to be used as evidence.

The robbers decided to remain behind bars pleading their innocence. Six months down the line it was due to go to court but they sacked the solicitor so it wasn't for another 6 months before it went to court - then they pleaded guilty.

The judge sentenced them to 12 months imprisonment which they had served already.

So even when caught they played the system. They knew that if they pleaded innocent and stayed in prison they'd get special priveledges and an easy time.

The victims mealwhile couldn't make an insurance claim as the stolen goods were with the police for 12 months. And when the goods were given back they were covered in mould as they had been stored in a damp cellar.

So if your house is robbed you don't want it to be recovered. Have a clean break - claim on the insurance and get a dog!!