Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University Inclusive Design Project

University Inclusive Design Project

Hi all, currently i'm a mechanical engineering student, the project been given is 'inclusive design'. To give you an idea of what it means, if you take a everyday object such as a tin opener, it can be used by a good percentage of the population, but imagine someone with arthritis or limited movement in their hands. A solution at the moment is to buy a electric type. The inclusive design part would be to make a mechanical opener of design as not to exclude people whilst also having it not look or feel like its made for anything but the mainstream market. another example would be a telephone that comes with large buttons and numbers but made to look modern etc. All in all the general gist is that most people don't want a product that looks specialized and would prefer designs that that blend into the background as if it was standard product
    At the moment when i spoke to a family member with arthritis handles can be a problem especially PVC windows which require the press and then twist action at the same time.
    All i m asking for is peoples opinions on what items in day to day life would people like to see have a more inclusive design. as upon looking up some of items to buy that attach to door handles etc are hideous bulky things.
    Any insights, opinions or ideas into either products you use or even tasks that may cause a struggle would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.
    Chris.

upon looking up some of items to buy that attach to door handles etc are hideous bulky things.
    There you go, design a better one.
    A better attachment, or consider a replacement for the existing handle.

Thats what mechanical design is all about- do it better than what is already out there, or cover a need that is not already catered for.
    Get it right and everyone will want to buy it.

I'm a mechanical engineering designer myself, mainly for industry rather than consumer goods. Although not currently working.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here's a design related question for you:

Why do they insist on fitting keylocks into those window handles as standard?

The latches can only be accessed from the inside so any burgular is already in.
    And people tend to leave the key in the lock anyway, so that they don't loose it.
    Ok, child safety at home if you have a mountaineering child, but why also in every office building?

The answer may surprise you; its all about cost.

Yes it costs more to include the keylock.
    But in the overall cost of the window this is neglible and leaving it out would not give you a price advantage.
    (And although not strictly true your competitors would say that theirs were more burgular proof with keylocks).
    It would cost more in admin, storage, etc. to have two handle options. (Keylock or not).

So it ends up cheaper, because its easier, just to fit a keylock to every window.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

To answer the original question, I would not care what it looked like, as long as rthe bloody thing WORKED and made my life easier. I already have ab electric can opener and a gadget that opens jars (2 tasks really hard when you have weak wrists.

Re windows, nukecad......well depending on where you live, windows locks are a necessity! some places, you'd be DAFT not to have em. Yes I leave the keys in, cuz they would get lost.

For me, i'd like to find a temp0rary ramp that does not cost the earth, is light to carry and will go over my doorsteps. Yes, they are out there but very costly. Mostly METAL. When you live in a rented house you often cannot make changes to existing entrances/exits.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Re windows, nukecad......well depending on where you live, windows locks are a necessity! some places, you'd be DAFT not to have em. Yes I leave the keys in, cuz they would get lost.
    Exactly part of what I was saying.
    What's the point of having a keylock if you leave the key in it?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I don't like to carry lots of pound coins in my pocket because everytime I put my keys out I drop a few coins. Design something to hold and dispense coins that's also a key fob e.g. use a digital 3D printer.

I'd like to see more customised designs. Something 3D-printed in coloured plastic that protects my smartphone but also has my email address etched on the cover so I can be contacted if someone finds it if I were to lose it.

Perhaps a button fastner to be used by people with less finger dexterity.

A small LED light that can clip to your crutch to illuminate the walkway. I see a light the size of a smartphone torch housed in a black plastic cylindrical unit that holds a small rechargeable button type cell battery. It just clips onto the crutch like a peg on a clothes line.

Some food for thought.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 03-11-15 at 13:34.

Re Nukecad, thanks for the response, i remember at one point being asked if the downstairs windows had locks as part of my household insurance, actually rings a bell that the keys need not to be visable for the insurace to cover this type of break in. That being said even if the key is left in it still stands to reason that the glass would still need to be broken to gain entry so you would imagine if someone went to the effort they would break one large enough to fit through, anyway is that a new procedure to put the lock on them all? as my upstairs don't have it but they may be quite old.

Onto task, that was my initial thoughts to go with a redesign of the handle that could even be retrofit to existing windows. Although it seems the assignment given does seem to discourage to go straight at the first thing and to research more than one idea, in fact it encourages to think of as many as possible.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by cjoseuk; 03-11-15 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    For me, i'd like to find a temp0rary ramp that does not cost the earth, is light to carry and will go over my doorsteps. Yes, they are out there but very costly. Mostly METAL. When you live in a rented house you often cannot make changes to existing entrances/exits.
    Thanks for the input
    That would be great although not using metal it may be a struggle to achieve the strength necessary, and then metal and low cost may be difficult to achieve.
    With the gadget you use to open jars, the inclusive design aspect of the project would more than likely mean a redesign of the jar so people with weak wrists can open it anyway.
    Thanks again greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I don't like to carry lots of pound coins in my pocket because everytime I put my keys out I drop a few coins. Design something to hold and dispense coins that's also a key fob e.g. use a digital 3D printer.

I'd like to see more customised designs. Something 3D-printed in coloured plastic that protects my smartphone but also has my email address etched on the cover so I can be contacted if someone finds it if I were to lose it.

Perhaps a button fastner to be used by people with less finger dexterity.

A small LED light that can clip to your crutch to illuminate the walkway. I see a light the size of a smartphone torch housed in a black plastic cylindrical unit that holds a small rechargeable button type cell battery. It just clips onto the crutch like a peg on a clothes line.

Some food for thought.
    Thanks some great ideas there.
    some kind of pound PES dispenser, not sure about the weight if it was full of coins mind you, the phone case a good idea just not quite what i'm after. a button fastener leads me to buttons that are easier for people like you said with limited dexterity, (currently doodling some ideas for this haha). Really like the torch on a crutch to incorporate into the inclusive design it would need to be incorporated cheaply into the crutch seeming like its not there with battery compartment hidden away.
    Thanks again, i'm after as much as possible idea wise, more the merrier thanks

Torch on crutches brings to mind that all rollators, triwalkers , in fact all types of walking frames should have lights on them for the reason of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Torch on crutches brings to mind that all rollators, triwalkers , in fact all types of walking frames should have lights on them for the reason of safety.
    Good point, maybe some reflective elements like hi-vis jackets as well as the lights, makes more sense this time of year once the clocks change. thanks