Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifeline, to get or not to?

Lifeline, to get or not to?

Today me and my wife went to the nursing station in town. They provided us with enough pamphlets to make a tree, and I'm going on Wednesday to be assessed for the pain clinic and to talk to the nurse about other options. I was just curious as to everyone's opinion on Lifeline.

Hopefully you know what that is, if not I'm going to explain (not to be patronizing, but just in case it's called something else across the ocean.)

Lifeline is a feature where you wear a necklace or bracelet. It has a button to call for help if you've fallen, or gotten into trouble. It is a Personal Emergency Response service. They will ask you who you want them to call (either a friend that you've given them the number of, or the ambulance).

My wife works full time on the military base, so she's not home during the day. I have to crawl up and down the stairs to use the washroom, and have fallen down the stairs quite a few times. It really hurts. I have almost fallen in the bathroom, and almost fallen in the shower. Basically my natural clumsiness has increased to the point where I am actually a true danger to myself! Most of the time I'm in my wheelchair in the house, and it was pointed out what would I do if I fell out?

So what are you opinions on the lifeine, is it something that you would get? Or is it too intrusive for you?

Thanks,

Lessa.

We have a similar system here and it appears to work well.
    Your safety is priority so worth at least giving it a try because it means help will always be at hand should you fall.

Not feeling intrusive in any way...if you fell at home and nobody was with you, what would you be able to do about it? Anything that can help should be at hand 'just in case'. If not for your peace of mind but for those around you who would be worried when they weren't there for you...at work etc. As beau says...safety first.

I never thought of that, but suddenly when i think on my safety first (rather than inconveniencing people and feeling guilty about it), I'd be in one heck of a position, especially since I have fallen down the stairs before. With my wife not always being home, I am more at risk of falling and injuring myself and potentially not being able to get back up.

Looks like I'm going to look into lifeline! Thank you for reminding me to look at my safety =)

We have a system called Care Call over here and it sounds exactly like Lifeline.
    My husband is disabled and we have a care call system in place for him. His is a pendant to wear round the neck and the main unit sits in the living room. Pressing the pendant activates a call to the local care call centre and through the intercom on the main unit the operator will ask what the problem is and what help is needed.
    We have previously used it to call an ambulance, and the service was fantastic. It is also linked to our smoke detectors in case of fire. Care Call keeps details of someone who has a spare key to access the property in the event of needing to get in to the house in emergency. Apart from yearly updating of personal details and checks to see the equipment is working correctly it is not intrusive at all.

The problem I'm having, is I called them today and it requires a landline, which we don't currently have, and the cost of adding a land line can be expensive. Usually they're at least $30 for a basic phone with no features. So my wife and I are discussing this, the company did say they're in the process of getting the technology to be able to use a cellphone, but it will be a while before that comes out. Grr

I would pay the money and get the landline put in. Better that than lying there for hours with a broken leg! Also would the base let you put in a stairlift? That might solve the problem of up/down stairs.
    Social services should be able to help with grab rails in the bathroom. I know its not your own house but here in UK, landlords have to make (or allow) "reasonable adaptions" to enable you to live there.

We have asked about a stair lift, but they will not permit us to put one in, as they would have to take it out for the next family to use, seeing as most military families have able bodied people. They are willing to put in grab bars in the washrooms. We have talked to the Canadian Forces Housing Association (CFHA) and they are looking into the possibility of getting us a flat that is all one level, or at least has a washroom down on the main level. If it has a washroom on the main level I can just sleep down there, the only time I'd have to go upstairs would be to shower or bathe. We are looking into other housing options (disabled housing, or just an apartment on one level that is spacious), and would put a landline in there. For now I am instructed to carry my cellphone, which has a quick button to press should I fall. My wife has an amazing chain of command at the moment who know the situation with me at home, and would let her come home for an emergency. I also have friends that live close by that I can telephone.

The only issue is if I am unconscious, thankfully I have a thick skull?

Super Moderator
    Hi Lessa

I would be surprised to find that there were no mobile telecare systems in Canada. I know satellites are expensive and Canada is a big country but it's also quite prosperous. There is a mobile telecare system in the UK provided by Tunstall and I note that they are based in Canada too-
    http://canada.tunstall.com/Products Re the unconscious issue there are also fall alarms that operate whether or not you are conscious. They use accelerometer technology (the sort that keeps the picture on your mobile upright when you move about). These can be connected to an autodialler alarm or a telecare control centre alarm. Tunstall manufacture these as well so you might want to enquire.

Dlf Team
    Last edited by dlfteam; 10-11-15 at 11:51. Reason: grammar

Yes you need a landline.
    My daughter uses the lifeline.
    She wears a pendant when indoors alone, also has a bed sensor which will alert Lifeline if she gets out of bed in the night and doesn't return with in the set time given.
    They also do fall detectors which would have been great for daughter but the ones in our area are designed to slide onto a belt - daughter doesn't wear belts.
    There is also a warden who is on call and attends if daughter falls.
    They carry a lifting cushion to help get people up off the floor after a fall ( Manga Elk )
    Sea Queen