Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A difficult one..

A difficult one..

Our garden is over-grown, and. Ow unmanageable. My dad was intending to sort it out but he has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

My mum has been ill herself, they are still unsure what is wrong but she is being treated as if she has had a stroke. She has double vision and other problems with her eyes, can not focus properly and is struggling to do even basic things.

I too have disabilities and wouldn't be able to do the garden.

Are we entitled to any help?! :/

I would contact your council, and Age UK, and CAB to ask about volunteer gardeners / gardening schemes.

Most areas of the country have volunteers who go round once or twice a week and look after gardens for elderly and disabled people.
    You will usually get the same person all the time.
    Often you are also helping them as they have no garden of their own.

Just one charitable organisation in Nottingham who might help you, (and you help them) but may need a small payment:
    http://www.frameworkha.org/how_we_he..._trades/fix_it
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you, mum has spent the last week trying to find information out, the council wanted a payment of around £500, which we just don't have!

One of my friends has offered to do it for us, but again, that would cost us, saying that...I'd rather have somebody that I know outside my house :/

Many also have schemes where school leavers are learning trades (including gardening), and will come out and complete the work at a lot less than what a professional gardener would charge. They usually have one experienced gardener overseeing it all to ensure they do a good job.

Will cost a little, but much less than paying a professional gardener.

Our garden is literally like a jungle - in fact, I'm pretty sure they might do a wildlife documentary there! Lol.

If you have a volunteer centre try them, they may have people on their books willing to do gardening for those unable to cope.

I have been asking around..so far, nobody is willing to help.

Apparently they expect a family member to do it.

My auntie is also disabled and my uncle is unable to do it as he's unaware of danger. (Severe learning disabilities)

Could you ask your neighbors if they would be able to help you with your lawn work? A close friend? Or perhaps a kid from down the street, as I know when I was younger I would go mow people's lawns for $5 or so, and some of those lawns the weeds and grass were taller than me! Just a thought.

Don't know if your mum found this one in Nottingham, volunteer gardeners do seem harder to find than I expected
    http://www.hopenottingham.org.uk/homehope.aspx

Another idea may be to ask the manager at some local garden centres, I'm not suggesting that they will help themselves but they may have some contacts.
    Volunteer groups have to get their gardening tools and supplies from somewhere.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Try AgeUK they run a scheme to assist elderly and disabled people do this sort of work. Yes you have to pay, but less than you would for a contractor.
    If its a massive task, you not gonna get it done for free. Ask around, look on FB, get a few quotes. Thing is with a professional, they WILL take all that overgrowth AWAY.
    I just paid £400 on my garden and it was worth it. The guys did great job and removed 2 and 1/2 tons of rubble. No way was the council EVER coming to shift that!