Thread: pension credit

pension credit

hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding pension credit. I reach pension age next july, the unemployment benefit office that I sign on as unemployed have told me I should apply for pension credit instead of jobseekers allowance. my wife has a personal pension which she gets when she reaches retirement age in February. I have one which I can get when I reach retirement age next july, both of these together total about ?20,000. do I have to surrender these policys early

If you both have access to these pensions now (not at retirement date) then they can take them into account as notional income, you would not have to claim them, but pension credit would be reduced by what you could get by taking them now. So if they are worth for example £50 per week, then £50 would be taken into account. It is is a case you would have £50 per week less income coming in to live on.