Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Focus Interviews

Question Work Focus Interviews

Hi,

I currently get ESA in Support Group, I also get the Daily Living standard rate PIP. We had a baby last year and my partner work focus interviews were paused until our daughter turns 1 which will be soon. However, I'm terribly worried as my partner is more less my main carer and helps me day to day, also with our daughter, and she will be asked to start looking for work soon, and if she did miss ainterview I understand I'd still get a sanction.

Is there anything I can do to have her excluded form attending work focus interviews. I understand we can apply for carers allowance however I don't do so due to the other effects it can have on benefits, plus the stress of going through applying it for it I just can't do, as PIP was hard enough and far too stressful.

First of all there is no stress in applying for Carer's Allowance. You complete the form and that's about it as you are on a qualifying benefit.

As regards the effect it has on other benefits have you had advice about this? If you are on a joint income based ESA then it will be counted as income and deducted from the benefit but you get a Carer's Premium added on so in effect you are better off by the amount of the Carer's Premium. You just let the DWP know when it is in payment and they do the paperwork.

It will have an effect on child tax credit too but you just ring them and let them know of the change of circumstances.

Because of the change in child tax credits you would be wise to get a 'better off' calculation done byCAB.

If you are intent on not claiming the CA then your partner will have to attend the work focussed interviews. However, my understanding is that when you are a carer there is not a lot of fuss made about working just help/support for different possibilities. Even more so if you have a one year old.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    First of all there is no stress in applying for Carer's Allowance. You complete the form and that's about it as you are on a qualifying benefit.

As regards the effect it has on other benefits have you had advice about this? If you are on a joint income based ESA then it will be counted as income and deducted from the benefit but you get a Carer's Premium added on so in effect you are better off by the amount of the Carer's Premium. You just let the DWP know when it is in payment and they do the paperwork.

It will have an effect on child tax credit too but you just ring them and let them know of the change of circumstances.

Because of the change in child tax credits you would be wise to get a 'better off' calculation done byCAB.

If you are intent on not claiming the CA then your partner will have to attend the work focussed interviews. However, my understanding is that when you are a carer there is not a lot of fuss made about working just help/support for different possibilities. Even more so if you have a one year old.
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply. May I just ask, I thought when applying for carers allowance you may be asked for a medical assessment? This is what I've heard?

It isn't you that is applying for Carer's Allowance. It is your partner. She would be eligible for it because you are receiving PIP daily living rate.

You can apply on line:

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/overview

The application for Carers Allowance is very simple and you can do it online very easily. Because you're on PIP daily living and your partner looks after you, that's all there is to it. It does say you have to be caring 35 hours a week but they don't come and check up on you or ask intrusive questions, and they don't specify what's included as caring so it could be anything that helps you and doesn't just have to be personal care, even things like cooking your meals, going with you to appointments and doing your laundry etc. I don't think there's even a face to face interview for CA (I had to see someone at the local Jobcentre for a 5-minute appointment to sign forms but we were also claiming Income Support so I think it was for that), so if you and your partner want to avoid the stress and hassle of work focused interviews your best bet is to claim Carers Allowance, and as someone else said you'd gain about £34 a week as a carer premium which is also added onto your housing and council tax benefit if you're only getting partial help at the moment. I think it's a good idea to see a benefits advisor just to check how getting CA would affect your other finances, but I don't think you'd be any worse off and it should keep the Jobcentre off your back.

As others have said it is easy to apply you just fill the online form in and apart from a letter through the post to you informing you that a claim has been made for ca you have no contact until your partner gets the confirmation witch can be as soon as 2 weeks but it can take upto 6 weeks for payments to start, this is because they will Inform esa so ca can be deducted but the careers premium will be added at same time.
    You can request ca to be backdated for upto 3 months, if you do you could get a back payment of the career premium part until date esa takes over this premium. Ca has no ill effect on benefits, the effect on ctc is none as yes you have to inform them as its classed as taxable income but it falls below the earnings limit before effecting ctc so that would stay the same,

Guest081215
    If your girlfriend claims carers allowance she will still have work focussed interviews but in a much less intrusive way. These are very quick and easy in my experience and if she's on carers allowance she will not be required to look for work or do work searches. Generally wfi for carers is twice a year. There is nothing you can to do exclude her from wfis.

Carers allowance can be claimed online is very quick there is no proving, no interview, no phone calls, no paper forms. Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    If your girlfriend claims carers allowance she will still have work focussed interviews but in a much less intrusive way. These are very quick and easy in my experience and if she's on carers allowance she will not be required to look for work or do work searches. Generally wfi for carers is twice a year. There is nothing you can to do exclude her from wfis.

Carers allowance can be claimed online is very quick there is no proving, no interview, no phone calls, no paper forms. Don't worry.
    I have been a carer for my husband for 7 years. I get carers allowance and have never had a WFI in that time.

Guest081215
    That's great. Hopefully the op is in your area.

Hi everybody. I need your advice because both I and my wife have been asked to attend Work focussed interviews. I made a joint claim for Income Support(IS) last year. I receive Carer's Allowance and my wife receives Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Last year I had to attend WFIs several times, then by monthly telephones. This year 2016 has started for me to attend WFI again. Additionally, my wife who is on PIP has been asked too as WFI for Partners. I do not know if the DWP is right to ask her to attend when she has severe disability and is on PIP.
    Last edited by atonu; 08-01-16 at 00:48.