Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Credit Support Group

Universal Credit Support Group

Hi,

I have been told I'm one of the first to be placed into support group via universal credit. After weeks of excuses from DWP they have finally paid me by backpay from October 2014 and placed the disability component on my account.

My question is - now that I am in support group do I have to keep submitting medical certificates like I have been doing for the past year?

So have you now been taken off UC and put in ESA support group?

I ask because as far as I am aware there is only provision for Limited Capability for Work in UC, which is the equivalent of ESA WRAG.
    EDIT- see below LCWRA (the equivalent of SG) is available in UC.

I need to check this more but would be interested in your award.

Once in ESA Support Group you do not need further sick notes, if still on UC I am not sure but would think not either.
    Last edited by nukecad; 25-10-15 at 21:33.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Guest081215
    I was told by DWP that LCWRA is the UC equivalent of esa support group.
    I don't know how truthful this was.

Limited capability for work and work related activity.

When you are receiving UC you are placed in a 'conditionality group'.

Explanation here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...nt-what-group/

Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    I was told by DWP that LCWRA is the UC equivalent of esa support group.
    I don't know how truthful this was.
    That's correct ,Limited Capability for work and Work-Related Activity (LCWRA) is the legal term for what is normally refered to as ESA Support Group.
    The same term is used in the UC legislation.

I've been looking through the Universal Credit regulations 2013, as ammended, and can't find anything specific about medical certificates once awarded LCW/LCWRA.
    (Medical certificates are covered but not in this context).

I can only assume that its works the same as ESA and once you are awarded a group then the requirement for medical certificates stops.

If I was you I would send one more certificate and/or give them a ring to confirm no more are needed.

Remember that you are one of the first to be awarded this, so it will be all new to most people at the DWP/Jobcentre as well as to yourself (and us).

Hello there.

I was wondering if anybody could help with my situation..

I have currently left work and started claiming Universal Credit.

I am living at home with my mother, however she is out of the country for a month.

I got told i am entitled to apply for an advance payment, which i would need before my relevant date.

The reason why is because as i am currently on my own, i have to keep up with the gas and electric meters etc.

If i ring and explain this would i need evidence as i'm not sure the paper work is. I obviously need gas and electric within this monthly period.

What would be my best bet?

Thanks.

I know very little about UC, people on uc can get a (budgeting advance) while they wait for the claim to be sorted, but its just a loan and needs to be paid back by you getting reduced amounts of uc until it is.

I dont think the scenario you describe would be allowed really, as you dont normally have to pay these thing its your mother who does,and should have left provision for it.

you say you have left work, if you've been working are you not entitled to claim Contribution based JSA.

You can apply for a Short Term Advance of UC whilst waiting for your payments to be sorted.
    (Sorry slipmaster a Budgeting Advance, sometimes called a Budgeting Loan, is a different thing - you already have to be recieving benefit to get one of those).

Once you have the advance you can use the money to pay bills and buy food.

As slipmaster points out this is an advance of your benefits (a loan) and will need to be paid back, usually within 3 months.

You will need to show that you would suffer hardship if you do not recieve an advance payment.
    Read more about short term advances of UC

As slipmaster points out are you not able to claim Contributions Based JSA?
    Maybe not if you have not made enough NI contributions.
    Last edited by nukecad; 25-10-15 at 21:53.

no problem Nuke, happy to be corrected, i am not at all familiar with UC and just didn't want to leave poster without any answers.

Thanks guys.

I know i can apply for the advance, it's just a case of if they will let me as it's not my house and i don't normally pay for the electric etc.

But with my mum being away it's a bit difficult at the minute.