Thread: DWP trying to force me to cancel my medical!

DWP trying to force me to cancel my medical!

unbelievable can't believe they are wanting me to cancel my appointment. What happend was last week my go fax them to let them know that I needed to get a taxi to my assessment because of my condition I can't use public transport. They are now saying the didn't receive it but I know that's I lie I spoke to my gp today and she told me that she got a reply from them on Monday. So when I phoned the dwp they said there's nothing that they can do the only thing I can do is cancel my appoitment. So I either cancel it or fork out 40 quid on taxis which I can't afford what do you think I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor91 View Post
    unbelievable can't believe they are wanting me to cancel my appointment. What happend was last week my go fax them to let them know that I needed to get a taxi to my assessment because of my condition I can't use public transport. They are now saying the didn't receive it but I know that's I lie I spoke to my gp today and she told me that she got a reply from them on Monday. So when I phoned the dwp they said there's nothing that they can do the only thing I can do is cancel my appoitment. So I either cancel it or fork out 40 quid on taxis which I can't afford what do you think I should do?
    Why do they want to cancel your assessment? It's not clear.

Ring the assessment centre not the DWP, they will send you a taxi free of charge.

They want me to cancel the assement because they won't be able to pay me my taxi fares. I had my gp fax over the letter again today like they asked but now they said they don't have enough time to look at the claim for expenses, and if that wasn't bad enough I've been now told there won't be any recording equipment I asked why and they didn't know even though I requested it 3 weeks ago. So they have told me that they have booked my next assessment on Nov 4th or I could still come today but no taxi fares or recording equipment.

Annoying as it is you are not going to change things now.

I should just take the new appointment as you will then know that you have the recording equipment and your taxi paid for.

Like all big departments mistakes are made. It could be that the recording equipment was being used elsewhere or something equally daft.

Sometimes it is not worth raising your blood pressure over things like this. Life can be sh*t and in these circumstances we tend to think the DWP should be making no mistakes because the people (claimants) are already 'suffering' because of medical conditions and mistakes just make these worse.

Unfortunately the employees at DWP are no better or no worse than lots of large organisations and just mere mortals trying to do their job - sometimes badly.

If it helps make a formal complaint at their incompetence in the same way that you would do with any other company. Otherwise accept it as human nature and move on.

It isn't acceptable but my 'take' on it is that you need to reserve energy to 'pick your fights' for the more important things. You are still being paid, they have given you another appointment and you will get your taxi paid and your recording equipment.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 22-10-15 at 10:36.

Hi guys thought I would update you all. So I decided just to go to the assessment, the woman who did the assessment was really nice and understanding, she also sorted out my taxi fare and got a hold of recording equipment for me as well. When I walked into the assessment centre in glasgow there was ppl crying and also 2 fights broke out while I was waiting so this obviously made me more worried but I don't have a bad word to say about the assessor. I'll phone next week for my report and here's hoping that I can put this behind me and concentrate on getting better!
    Kind regards Taylor

Great to hear that you made it to the appointment and had a fairly good experience with the assessor.

When I walked into the assessment centre in glasgow there was ppl crying and also 2 fights broke out while I was waiting
    Who knows what was happening there?
    Family disputes?, the whole stress of the assessments?, just a Glasgow thing?
    (PS. I share a house with two Glasgow lads so know that it's not a stereotype, just the celtic temperament, making your point as forcibly as you can - which sometimes boils over).

Again good luck with the decision.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.