Thread: Esa self employed permitted work

Esa self employed permitted work

Hello everyone, whilst being stuck on the assessment rate esa I'm struggling a little financially, I want to try and push myself into some work.... I'm aware of permitted work on esa but my question is, is the permitted income calculated by your profit? For example minus any buisness insurance or running costs to keep the buisness going, so you are allowed to earn £104 per week total, or £104 per week profit?

You can do self employed Permitted Work.

The £104 per week allowed allowed is 'earnings', i.e. what ever wages you take from the business.

The rules, as with everything else, get a bit complicated because there are so many types of self employment.
    eg. Authors, farmers, share fishermen, architects, builders, and so on all have different expenses to take into account.

Different costs are allowed to be deducted from "earnings" with different types of self employment.

The best way to check this may be to read through the decision makers guide on self employment and ESA and see how this applies to your proposed employment. (This guide also applies to permitted work, refered to as PWK in the guide).

You can find these here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...75/dmgch50.pdf

In the end it's going to be down to the Decision Maker to decide if what you take as 'earnings' is allowable or if it will reduce your ESA.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.