Thread: More hassles

More hassles

Well I am starting to see why disabled people get a bit frustrated I have only recently been disabled after a full life of being able bodied I had a stroke leaving me with no power on my left side it took a massive struggle to get wheelchair access to my flat and now have the problem of the door to the building.

It has an electronic lock and opens inwards I struggle to open it as it's on my right hand side and wheelchair controls are right side also so II sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts the lha have said they won't put an automatic door in but as far as I am aware they are obliged to due to my disability has anyone else had similar problems.

Ray.

Yes like yourself I had the same issues, can you ask them to change the doors to open inwards rather than back, they may be fire doors which is why they wouldn't change my flat main door, your LHA do have an obligation to do something where that could be moving new home? If your finding the door heavy with draught screw holes into the bottom and it takes the suction out the door that would be easier to hold while trying to get in

Best of luck

Hi the door is extremely heavy and makes it almost impossible to exit the building due to it opening inwards the LHA won't move me as I have been told there are no houses suitable for me and that they have just spent a couple thousand pounds on a custom ramp, I did point out that I consider this a fire risk due to not being able to exit safely so we will see what happens and will keep everyone posted.

Ray.

Snap. I have the same issue with my left side not working and power chair controls on my right.

Automatic doors are the only answer unless you rely on 'passers by; helping you out.

The only other option is to ask them to drill 4 holes through the bottom of the door this will make the door far lighter as it stops the heavy draught they did this with me and it has helped tremendously

There is an air gap at bottom of the door the door is just so heavy with it being the main entrance to my building it weighs a ton I have also got nerve problems in my back so trying to physically pull it open is a nightmare the problem is not as bad entering as door swings inwards but I need to push the door with my wheelchairs footplates and this is causing damage to both door and chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartha1974 View Post
    Well I am starting to see why disabled people get a bit frustrated I have only recently been disabled after a full life of being able bodied I had a stroke leaving me with no power on my left side it took a massive struggle to get wheelchair access to my flat and now have the problem of the door to the building.

It has an electronic lock and opens inwards I struggle to open it as it's on my right hand side and wheelchair controls are right side also so II sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts the lha have said they won't put an automatic door in but as far as I am aware they are obliged to due to my disability has anyone else had similar problems.

Ray.
    I would say your landlord supposed to make reasonable adjustment,provision.

Have you had someone from local SS come and do an assessment, or contacted anyone other than housing?

I can't speak from a legal point of view, but you could try the Stroke Society:

https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-su...p-daily-living

Getting in an out of a door certainly comes under daily living. You can always try your local MP if you get no joy from local services.

J

Thanks for that advice will chase that up on monday

I agree with the automatic door idea, they're usually pretty inexpensive to the landlord and would only up the value of the property, as then they can advertise as wheelchair friendly with automatic doors! I'd also look up municipal laws, and see what is required on a municipal basis, as some towns may have additional accessibility laws in addition to the province/state and federal laws.